Mice Problem

From early January onwards at approximately 11.00pm each night a few roof tiles would move followed by a "pop" and then fumbling for a few seconds. This occurred in reverse at about 5.00am the following mornings.Thought this was odd so set my mp3 player to record the night activity and having listened several times it would appear to be young mice feeding.

My theory is that the mouse (or similar) goes under the tile and pushes itself between the roof felt and the new overlapping membrane that covers the bottom two levels of tiles.I believe the rodent couldn't get out during the recent freezing weather to search for food as I didn't hear the "noises" on the night of the snow orsince.

I asked a pestman to look in the loft and he said he couldn't see any signs of rodent activity,however he did not look close to the sides of the loft down the slope to see the end of the rafters,eaves etc. He is calling back tomorrow and I will ask him to do this for me.

Looking onward should I get someone to remove the bottom two layers of tiles and the membrane to check and if so by whom ? I cannot find a tileman who wants to do this, fascia people only want to install all new and environmental health don't appear to be able to recommend anyone either. This is East Angela. Thanks.

Michelle.

Reply to
Michelle

I think you need to post the mp3 as I have no idea how a roof tile "fumbles" or "pops". How do you see it moving?

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Would mice have the strength to move a tile? Possibly expansion / contraction noises? An owl feeding on the roof? I can hear birds clattering over my roof.

Would like to hear a recording.

Reply to
ss

Putting a couple of mouse traps in the loft would be the best answer. I recommend the all-metal types (IME more efficient than the wooden ones) baited with a small piece of Mars bar - much more effective than cheese.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Helps a mouse rest, work, and play?

Reply to
Davey

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Ward

OP Here Pestman came back ,no bait had been eaten and he thinks my problem is with birds.

I have since noticed the following in nearly all the rooms in the house. Yellow tiny flat shaped objects., bits of cotton thread, old flaking gloss bits, tiny thin bits of loft insulation and some stuff resembling bits of rubber from an old slipper.Also small bits of plastic cellophane. These have all been found today, living room,kitchen, behind my bed headrest, hallway etc.

The activity seems to take place after 11PM can hear movement in walls ? and fllor but seems to go suddenly at about 7.00AM.

I would post a clipping if someone could let me have a free website to use or I could perhaps forward the sound as an email attachment direct to someone.File size would be about 550kb

I am going to set up a CCTV in the hallway and if nothing there try the landing.

Thought about buying a trap but not 100% sure what animal it is.

Michelle

Reply to
Michelle

Well, I've certainly brought a few to rest with it!

Reply to
Farmer Giles