mew regs on electrical installation

What are the new regs on electrical wiring? Does the local planing authority have to attend every time you change a socket or add a spur?

Reply to
zaax

Look at

and follow the link to Building Regulations.

Part P is the applicable piece.

The Statutory Instrument is here

you can find a list of what is exempt from Building Control (it is not a planning issue).

For more substantial work you have the option of employing an electrician registered through one of the approved organisations or you can DIY and issue a building notice at the local authority.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

© Copyright 2004.

All parts of this Usenet posting are Copyright by the author. It may not be sold in any medium, including electronic, CD-ROM, or database, packaged with any commercial product, or published in print or electronic form without the explicit written permission of the author. The copyright of included material belongs to the original author.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Or doing as many electricians are currently doing (according to feedback I'm seeing elsewhere) and just ignore the new regulations. Carry on as you are now.

So long as wiring complies with 16th edition then the offence you would make by ignoring the regs is one of flouting red tape. A judge isn't going to sentence you to life imprisonment if someone is injured as a result of a piece of paper not being issued. It would be more a misdemeanour than a serious crime. You don't get convicted of driving under the influence when you park on a double yellow.

So if you can stand up in court and prove that you took all reasonable precautions with respect to good wiring practices the maximum crime you will be prosecuted for is going to result in a fine. And that fine could well be less than the cost of getting the local council in to issue a certificate.

And who is going to know? The only time there's going to be an issue is if the wiring is carried out dangerously and someone is injured or killed and an ensuing investigation goes looking for someone to book.

IMHO of course. I'm not suggesting anyone should ignore the law.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay

Mew regulations? I've not seen any cats doing wiring yet. :) Maybe its because of the skills shortage. I suppose I have heard of them running wires under floors before.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Surely you've heard of CAT5?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

© Copyright 2004.

All parts of this Usenet posting are Copyright by the author. It may not be sold in any medium, including electronic, CD-ROM, or database, packaged with any commercial product, or published in print or electronic form without the explicit written permission of the author. The copyright of included material belongs to the original author.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In article , Andy Hall writes

Thanks for the link