Metric-ish

Milk in pints is nearly always better value than milk in half litres. It's the smaller shops which sell the smaller containers, and I reckon the perception that it's about a pint so should cost about the same is why.

Reply to
Clive George

and milk in 2 litre containers is even better value.

Reply to
charles

It sort of is: 16:9 is most common; 21:9 for 'cinema' sets. This monitor is 16:10 and the extra pixels are very useful. For a 16:9 TV, a rough and useful guide is that the height is slightly less than half the diagonal, so my 50" set is just over 24" high.

Reply to
PeterC

Most thing are less expensive when purchased in greater quantities , whether that is better value depends on the circumstances of the buyer. A single person who only drinks beverages black and does hardly any cooking of cakes etc could struggle to consume 2 litres of milk before it goes off so it would not be better value for them.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Which is exactly why I buy 1 litre bottles of the filtered stuff, it lasts a week after opening, usually what's on the shelf has a use-by date at least three weeks away, so I can buy it a fortnight ahead to avoid running out ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Milk in 2 litre containers is seldom cheaper pro rata than 4 pint containers. It usually costs the same but contains 10% less milk.

Lets hope that - post Brexit - we'll be able to get back to buying paint in pints and quarts. I've done a number of jobs where a quart was just right - but a litre wasn't quite enough.

Reply to
Roger Mills
[11 lines snipped]

Are we going to bring back polio and the ducking stool, too?

Reply to
Huge

Oooh yes please!

Reply to
Tim Streater

Hanging?

Reply to
Capitol

Immigration is already bringing back polio, TB...you name it.

And we can expect Sharia to bring back a lot worse than ducking stools.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Except milk in 4 pint containers is better value than milk in 2 litre containers - the problem scales up.

Reply to
Clive George

I'll guess all items were made to metric spec. 4' x 2' becoming 1200 x 600

2" x 1" becoming 50mm x 25mm.
Reply to
fred

When the use of SI units came in (early start of metrification in engineering and science) it was common practice for some lectures to convert their lab. sheets from imperial to metric! This gave some awkward figures to work with. One lecturer's lab sheet gave the length of wire to use as 0.9144 metres instead of the original 3 feet.

Reply to
TomSawer

Our thermodynamics lecturer in 1980, instead of C.G.S. or M.K.S., would refer to the furlong, firkin, fortnight measurement system, to see if we were still awake.

Reply to
Davey

Alas no. Sheet materials are 1220 x 610 - which is dead on 4'x2'

Reply to
David Lang

Some are, some aren't ... plasterboard is 2400x1200, plywood and mdf, as you say, are 2440x1220

Reply to
Andy Burns
[35 lines snipped]

If you are going to include this pointless and incorrect advertising, could you at least use a standard sig separator ("--") so we don't have to look at it?

Reply to
Huge

Why do you look at it if it offends you? Can't you skip read?

Reply to
Bill

*plonk*
Reply to
Huge

Plasterboard comes in a range of sizes such as 2400, 2700, 3000 by 1200. (As well as 600 and 900 widths in some ranges.) Of course, as always, anything slightly non-standard will see the price rise and availability plummet.)

Reply to
polygonum