Metric copper pipe?

I believe that copper plumbing pipe changed from 1/2" & 3/4" to 15mm &

22mm sometime in the 1970's, but does anyone recall exactly when?

I assume it was a gradual changeover? Or was it "from this date"?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Apellation Controlee

Around 1968/9-ish I was doing some improvements on a terraced house and I think it slightly pre-dated that. I do recall that 3/4-to-22mm conversion fittings were common at that time (I needed them), but they became more difficult to get hold of in subsequent years.

Reply to
Apellation Controlee

1970, ISTR. before my time, so I'm a bit vague on details.

I'd think (no information) that both types were stocked for a time since existing systems would have all been imperial and merchants would have dropped the imperial range as demand dropped.

Reply to
Onetap

The central heating system I installed starting in late 1971 maybe early

1972 was metric.
Reply to
Michael Chare

Our Laing-estate house was built in 1971 with Imperial size copper plumbing.

Reply to
Reentrant

also of course you could buy the imperial pipes and fittings for quite a long time after metrication as well. These things tend to go slowly I find. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I remember it. We had to bash 1" elbows onto the copper pipe. It was a f*ck up.

Reply to
Mr Pounder