Metric?

I've not seen them on TV, but I do know some people who do it.

Reply to
Chris French

and er how would you assess that before baking a cake? :-)

And your basic victoria sponge recipe is pretty forgiving. If it's a bit thick, a splash of water, if it's a bit thin a spoon of flour. It'll all be fine

Reply to
Chris French

Ingredient volumes are *definitely* easier in metric, for me anyway.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

So which 'size' egg and which countries size refernece are you using ;-)

an eggs can weigh anything from ~40g to 75g or more.

I'll have thocheck my box of 6 meduim check they all weigh the same :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

When I buy free range eggs from a local croft, I weigh them. (For baking

- I wouldn't bother to weigh for an omelette...)

Reply to
S Viemeister

So if you were baking the viccy sponge cake that I quoted early that required

4 beaten eggs what size eggs would you buy and do you allow for the weight of the shell or do you weigh them after shelling.
Reply to
whisky-dave

An average egg :-)

Normally I would be using medium or large eggs - it really doesn't seem to matter to the finished cake ( the cake mix is too thick or liquid that is easily adjusted). Of course like anything else with cooking, you use your common sense - if the eggs seem on the small side then add an extra one etc.

There is sense to weighing the eggs of course as the ratio of egg to other ingredients then stays the same. In reality it doesn't seem necessary. Though if I had lots of varying egg sizes I might

Reply to
Chris French

Use balance scales, with the eggs as the weights, shells still on.

Reply to
Clive George

Or weigh the eggs first, then use that weight for the other ingredients.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Most UK recipes (unless otherwise noted) assume the use of a medium egg. I weigh them in the shell.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Which is where we came in ...

Reply to
Huge

:)

Reply to
S Viemeister

Yeah. Almost nobody (except us old farts) weigh eggs these days as they're standardised, supermarket-bought.

I was taught to weigh eggs for baking as we had our own chickens and ducks and egg size could vary wildly. Six pullets eggs were about the same as two ducks eggs. Very few people have this 'problem' these days - at least the ones who watch the above-metioned programmes at least.

Reply to
~misfit~