Methods of cooling a room

Page 4 of 6

Every so often I find someone with the same infuriating views on temperature. They're the gits that are allergic to aircons in the office and turn them off. In the winter they have the heaters on full and sickly hot. As other posters have said - you can always wear more, not less!!
Grrrrr ... ;P
Hi IMM In you wrote:

And if one is already doing an impression of Britney Spears, how does one decide which item of 'clothing' to remove?
--
Fishter
unhook to email me | http://www.fishter.org.uk /
you wrote:

See a doctor.

You want to go around looking like Saddam, go for it. You're not too good at following the point though, are you? I was talking about working - many people wear a suit in work. When you're in a shirt, tie & trousers and some plank has turned the a/c down, you get horrible and sweaty - something I'm sure you like, but the ladies don't usually take to too well! If you're too cold all the time, wear a goddam vest!
And FYI ... people in hot countries have ICY cold office and shopping buildings (USA, Middle East, Far East, etc.). It's hot outside so they jump into cold taxi's or cars (or in some cases a lovely cool underground system, something LU claim isn't possible!!).

In southern Europe they don't a/c the hell out of everything.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM wrote:

Huh? you can add unlimited layers of clothing to keep warm, but once you're naked you can't take any more off.

There's a difference - humidity; dry heat doesn't feel as hot as humid heat.
IMM> hot weather, that is why we all flock to the Med each year.
Well I avoid the Med like the plague but I do like to go somewhere hot to relax. But I wouldn't want to work in the Carribean any more than I'd want to lie outdoors and read a book in a British winter.
-- +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Andy Cunningham aka AndyC the WB | andy -at- cunningham.me.uk | +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | http://www.cunningham.me.uk/rangie - Everything you wanted to know | | about the P38A Range Rover but were afraid to ask. | +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ "The world has gone crazy: The best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war." -- Anon

A fan and some ventilation extraction is al you need. a/c is overkill.

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 19:48:04 +0100, "Owain"

You will never believe how smug you are going to feel next year when it all happens again - as it does - and you are already prepared for it.
The value of such a purchase is way too easy to underestimate! After 5-6 years I am now considering additional ones, as I like what this one does in the one room it's in.
OK, It's not perfect, but the cost of it didn't get me hot and bothered either! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Madness.

Plonk.
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Another know-it-all who knows nothing. The Florida Solar Energy Center says: "Based on our findings, we recommend that radiant barrier systems be considered for homes with shingle roofs both in FPC's Home Energy Improvement program as well as emphasized in FPC's new homes program where installations would be most cost effective."
Take a look: http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/bldg/pubs/rbs /

Hmmm ... I don't suppose its a *teeny* bit possible that this might apply to US-style houses built in Florida, and might not be applicable to conditions here?
:-)
Julian
--
Julian Fowler

Did you read it? No. If they work in Florida they will work here. A barrier under tiles is well a barrier under tiles anywhere.

Shingles are made from Western Red Cedar, not the material that is used for roof tiles here.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Have to say, I'm in agreement with the other posters here. From a physics point of view, putting a reflective material where no direct IR radiation hits it is going to be of negligible use - also with tiles, they will contain the heat for a good while, which will not help either. Putting a thick insulating material under it will be a better option - be careful there's enough ventilation though.
Now if you put tin foil on top of your roof tiles it WILL do an excellent job!! Not so sure your neighbours or the local council will go with you on that though after you blind everyone who passes by ;o)
Think of it like this - if you put spuds on the BBQ in foil, you'll burn your hand off if you pick up the foil because the potato inside it is hot and in contact with it. If you put a sheet of foil between you and the flames, it will be a very effective heat barrier.
So if you wrap your hand in foil and stuff it in a BBQ the foil will act as a heat barrier- let me know how you get on at A&E ;->
Hi Baxter Basics In you wrote:

No, because the foil is an extremely good conductor of heat. It is also extremely good at blocking radiant heat. So if you created a glove of foil /that did not touch your skin/ then you could stuff your hand in a BBQ.
--
Fishter
unhook to email me | http://www.fishter.org.uk /
do you know, that never even occurred to me ;}