Meter tail question

Well, it could be - around 10mm OD IIRC. Larger microbore...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Ah, OK.

Reply to
Adam Funk

No, I haven't seen it, but I don't claim that means it doesn't exist. Our main feed is one of those antique but sturdy ones with the steel tape coiled around it. It can't be mistaken for anything else in the house. ;-)

Reply to
Adam Funk

Tell them it's that high in case of flooding:-) You could get away with that one.

As Part M only applys to new builds you are safe from the Part M police.

Reply to
ARW

You have my sympathy following my work related cockup today.

I was given permission by the landlord to gain entry into a disused shop that is booked in for a refit and the keys to the doors were missing.

Just the one snag.

I knew which shop it was from the front of the shopping center but when I went to the service area at the back of the shops I broke into the wrong shop -the staff in that shop were not happy.

Reply to
ARW

No. More like 15mm tube.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oops.

I'd love to hear what one of your apprentices thought of that act of genius.

Really? How strange. :-)

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Several times I've waited at the front door to the flat above my shop waiting for a tradesman, only to have him phone me complaining that he's arrived and can't find the door. Turns out he's wandering around in the yard behind the shop next door.

jgh

Reply to
jgh

No, at one time pyro' was the only fire resistant cable type available. (which is why it is used extensively in fire alarm installations)

That would be why they specified it, fire reistance.

Ash Burton

Actually 1/2". As suggested, this was between a shared incomer and the meter.

The disconnected tails are for the feed to the flat whose cable I drilled through.

Note handy accessible position behind radiator and false wall (both removed).

What not to do.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Well as one helped me break in then I can tell you he was pissing himself when the alarm went off as the door opened and I said "Aw Fuck it's the wrong door".

Reply to
ARW

I see what you mean about it looking like pipework.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Yeah, me too! OTOH, I'm sure this was an honest c*ck-up, not caused by futzing around on Facebook while hammering.

Reply to
Adam Funk

The stuff I remember was MICC 2H16 and orange PVC covered. From memory, it looked larger than the common copper cold water pipe.

Most of the MI you tend to see is much lower current therefore smaller.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why do you need fire resistance for a fire alarm, shirley its better to do it like burglar alarms and sound the alarm if a wire burns through. It just needs SABs like burglar alarms.

Reply to
dennis

I assume they are often not labelled to make it less easy for villains to pick the shop with the most attractive contents.

Reply to
newshound

It used to be the case that detector wiring didn't have to be in fire-safe cable as the detector circuits were monitored and the system would alarm.

Burglar alarms usually have one or two bells; fire alarm systems may have d ozens or even hundreds in a large hotel requiring sounders near every bedhe ad. Burglar alarm bells are usually wired in multi-core cable and still don 't usually have a bell battery feedback loop to the controller. The cabling and maintenance burden of hundreds of SABs all with individual batteries a nd all reporting back to the controller would be unwieldy.

Burglar alarms are to provide warning of intrusion; they are not a primary security system and they are not a life protection system.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog