Meter boxes redux

Some time ago I asked on here about replacing external meter boxes (housing gas and electricity meters) and was kindly pointed in more or less the right direction.

We've now been quoted upwards of =A3300 just to replace the gas box - the electricity box seems to be in some sort of limbo where neither eOn nor the other lot will take any responsibility but I imagine the replacement cost would be similar.

The problem with the meters is mainly cosmetic - the hinges are broken and one of the doors is smashed. Having spent a great deal of time and money making the house look nice, it's a shame to let it down with the meters.

What I'd like to do for each of them is to build a wooden box to fit outwith the meter box itself. I'll take the catch off the existing door and put it on the door of the new wooden box so that the engineer can use the triangular key to access the meter.

Will this be legal? I ask here because I hesitate to spend the next thirty minutes of my life waiting on the phone in a queue only to be put through to someone entirely lacking a clue.

Thanks

Edward

Reply to
teddysnips

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com coughed up some electrons that declared:

Can't see why it should be a problem - I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

Obviously, with gas, ensure there's some ventilation top and bottom to help any seeping gas escape and label both boxes clearly so joe random meter man can find them :)

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

If it's just the door and architrave of a flush box that's damaged you can get metal "overboxes" to hide them

or

Reply to
Mike Clarke

That looks like it might work very well - I'll definitely check it out.

Thanks

Edward

Reply to
teddysnips