meter box to consumer unit

The brickies start tomorrow on the extension of the latest project. Previously the (overhead) electricity supply cable came straight through the wall into the house.

I want the supply to come into the extension and have bought a flush fit meter box to reduce the amount of stuff internally.

I am puzzling a little on how to get from the meter to the CU. Do I just run some meter tails from the box up the cavity into the wall as it is being built? Do they need to run in ducting or can they just sit in the cavity?

I am sure the brickies will advise on this but I like to be prepared.

Cheers

Martin

Reply to
Martin Carroll

Contact your supplier quickly (the process can take 6-8 weeks) - you shouldn't be enclosing supply cables or moving them yourself.

If you carry on without getting them moved, and they find out (or worse, someone is injured as a result) your supply can be disconnected for safety, and it's a chargeable job to then get it reinstated.

It's a little worrying that your builder has not picked up on the fact that this is not work they can legally carry out themselves, and is an obvious safety risk.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

True, but the OP was talking about meter tails (plus the main earthing conductor, presumably) on the consumer's side of the meter, was he not?

No cables should be run in wall cavities - the tails should go directly through the wall and can then run internally as for any other wiring. The normal safe zones concept applies, allowing a horizontal or vertical run to the CU. A maximum tail length of 2 or 3 metres will apply (consult supplier for details).

Two points on the suppliers side, while getting the supply moved: (i) if the present earthing is TT it may be possible to upgrade to PME, (ii) get an isolator fitted if possible - they'll fit this on their meter board on the output side of the meter and the supply terminals are then at the isolator output. With an isolator fitted you can easily disconnect the supply should you want to do any work on your consumer unit.

Reply to
Andy Wade

I'm sure they will, but are you really going to follow the advice of a brickie on how to route your electrics?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Thanks for that.

I've already had the supply moved once as it was in the way of the extension. Asked them about PME and they said supply wasn't suitable. However they have recently replaced all the village supply so I will broach the subject when they move it to it's permanent position.

Cheers

Martin

Reply to
Martin Carroll

In article , Colin Wilson writes

Hi Colin

I'm not talking about the supply side of the meter, just the tails from the isolator to the consumer unit.

I'm the builder by the way!

Cheers

Martin

Reply to
Martin Carroll

Martin Carroll presented the following explanation :

You have provided no clues as to the distance between the two.

They are not permitted to run along the cavity, but they are permitted to pass straight through it. Could you perhaps run some 2x2 plastic trucking inside?

I don't really see how they could possibly provide any useful advice.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Apologies then - I thought from your description you meant in the incoming main, rather than the consumer side.

What length of run will the tails be ? - IIRC anything over ~6 foot should be protected by a switched fused isolator, as it will be classed as a submain (this is in addition to any isolator the electric co. fit)

Reply to
Colin Wilson