Metal things in microwave oven

I always thought it was bad to put metal things in a microwave oven, and indeed on the occasions when something metal did go in ours some vicious sparking ensued.

Now we have a new one, a so-called combination microwave oven, and it includes a metal grill rack that can be used when it's microwaving. The instructions merely warn not to allow metal obejects to touch the sides when in a microwave mode.

So what has changed to make it OK to put metal in a microwave oven?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

on 30/05/2009, D.M. Procida supposed :

Nothing at all. The no metal was a general fool proof rule. If the metal is one single piece and not allowed to touch another piece of metal or the case, then there is no problem. Put two spoons in with some contact between them, then you can expect sparks.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

yup, though its a bit more complex. If you understand the basics of radio waves etc its easy enough to use metal safely in them.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Nothing - putting a metal spoon in a glass of milk has always been an easy way of heating it up without it quickly 'boiling' and overflowing. And my microwave has a SS lining. What is a problem is 'silver' leaf etc on a plate - that will burn out.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I still have somewhere the cook-book that came with our first microwave, (one of the first microprocessor controlled ones called a Plustron). It recommended putting aluminium foil on poultry legs to shield them.

It also had a metal temperature probe you could stick in the food and plug the other end into a 1/4" jack socket inside the cooking cavity.

Reply to
Graham.

Also a good way to destroy CDs!

SteveW