Metal stair treads - where to get at a reasonable price?

I want to get some metal stair treads for an outside staircase, something like these probably:-

However over £30 per tread (if I'm reading it correctly) seems a bit excessive.

Can anyone suggest where I might find metal treads at a reasonable price? They don't have to be aluminium and don't have to look pretty, this is a very utilitarian staircase up to a room over the garage.

Reply to
cl

A mate of mine used galvanised steel treads, I will try and find out where he got them. They are fairly substantial and £30 a tread would probably be a reasonable price, given how quick and easy they make the build.

Reply to
newshound

Here's one £22-50 plus vat

newshound

In message , snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net writes

Plenty of checker plate cut to size suppliers on line. All you then need is someone to crop the corners and fold all 4 sides to 90deg. and drill a few holes:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I need 12 treads, so that's £22.50 * 12 * 1.2, that's £324 which feels a lot to me still. I suppose it's a fairly permanent fix though.

Reply to
cl

Ah!!!! Thank you, the magic words 'checker plate' help no end. :-)

Reply to
cl

The problem with checker plate for external steps, especially if approached over damp or muddy path, is that they collect mud and get slippery. The "open lattice" type are much better, but the perforated type in the link I gave are not too bad.

The "diy" route gives you the merit of custom dimensions, but unless your local fabricator has time on his hands I would suspect that "custom" ones might not save you much.

Reply to
newshound

I think checker (chequer?) plate will be OK for us as the stairs are very infrequently used. Rain will was the mud off before it accumulates to any extent. If I could get 'open' ones I would but they seem a whole lot more money in general.

I've found a local fabricator happy to do galvanized ones with a fold up and down, I don't have a price yet.

Reply to
cl

For that price you can probably get a whole prefab staircase intended for u se with porta-cabin type buildings or scaffolding etc. Especially if there' s one near you secondhand.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Hmm, well over £600 for twelve.

However I've now found a local supplier who does 'composite' stair treads at a bit over £20 a go:-

This means a whole set for the staircase with fittings and nose comes to somewhat less than £400 which I guess isn't too bad. A very helpful person on the phone when I contacted them too.

Reply to
cl

These should be nice and grippy. I have a couple of "sand ladders" which seem to be much the same construction, and made a very good "ramp" over concrete steps when my muscle guy was barrowing muck in and out of my patio, before re-paving. They don't come with a convenient flange for screwing to the stringers, I guess you would carry the load by resting them on secure battens, with smaller screws to withstand the "kick" forces.

Reply to
newshound