Metal curtain track?

Hi,

I need some, hand bendable, no cords and mentally strong (hence the metal). And around 30-40 quid ish for a 80cm deep by 180cm long bay window, 2 bends,

90 degrees. No valence fancy stuff - just simple track. Poles are out as I want 2 curtains round the bay, not 4...

Any recommendations?

I like the look of these on paper:

't confirmed if it's bendable yet.

Or these:

I'm after smooth action, simple, last forever and not mind irregular fixings about 40cm apart(I'm going into the ceiling rafters and they aren't absolutely regular, but will give the best long term fixing).

Curtain rails are a black art (the old 4 quarters choice matrix of "crap/not crap vs expensive/not expensive) so recommendations of specific brands would be very useful :)

Ta

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , Tim Watts writes

Go to it Tonto

My bay is 135 degrees about 2 and a bit metres and the rail has just broken out of the clips (heavy curtains)

So I'm looking for the same thing

Reply to
geoff

I was going to ask why it needs to be metal but then I see you have two 90 Degree Bends ( does that count as being a bend ?) and wondered if you mean you want the curtains to go right in to the corners or bend smoothly round the corners ? If the former then I can see why you would want metal to get a tighter bend ( which will probably mean the curtains will stick at the bends ) but if the latter then no reason why plastic can't be used . What you do need tho is brackets at the right distances ,closer than probably recommended . I have heavy lined curtains with a 134" drop and 142" total width and use plastic Swish rail and brackets without any problem but you do need to buy the correct rail for heavy curtains .

That second rail you linked to .It says it can be bent but I'm puzzled as to how as it is an H shape .

You realise that first link is in America?

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

I have a similar setup. Had a Harrison Drape setup which eventually gave up the ghost. Have just fitted a B&Q HD plastic corded set which on thevtrack being sprayed with polish works perfectly - dont knock the plastic track.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

Usenet Nutter wibbled on Sunday 14 February 2010 22:55

Hi,

Smooth bend, about 10-15cm radius at a guess.

No, I really want metal. The curtains *will* get abused by tugging (I just know...) and if I put extra fixings in, they'll only go into PB which I've always had variable results with. If I can span 40cm with metal mounted direct to wood it'll be rock solid :)

It may be possible to mix top and back fixings - the window frame is wood, but it's full of profiles so that depends on the exact geometry of the brackets...

It is ali - I guess it isn't that hard. I'd certainly set up a former though, to get a nice regular bend - like a full tin of paint (have plenty of those!) or a bit of soil pipe.

The first one might be harder and if it collapses slightly, perhaps the runners might bind. That's less of an issue with the second one - which IIRC was a popular rail decades (centuries?) ago - in brass with brass wheeled runners. I liked those - always very free running and made a lovely sound when operated :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Battersea USA?

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , Tim Watts writes

I replaced some plastic track recently.

I replaced it with some Harrison Drape metal track - the standard one, not the ultra' one or whatever it's called. Where the hooks lip over the track, like your standard plastic track.

Mine was just a straight run, but it says (and should be fine)in can bent it for bays.

Is very nice and smooth, and feels like a much better job than plastic, which hopefully will wear better long term. None of the plastic tracks in this house - which are probably all some years old now work esp smoothly now- even with cleaning and polish/silicone spray

Like the look of the first link though.

Reply to
chris French

chris French wibbled on Monday 15 February 2010 00:13

Ah - didn't realise they did that stuff in metal - could be an option. Thanks!

Reply to
Tim Watts

down for I-beam - that's the old fashioned stuff I remember. Strewth - is it overpriced or what.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim Watts wibbled on Sunday 14 February 2010 21:02

Thanks for all the suggestions. Did look at the Harrison wotsit stuff - looked good. But in the end, I found this:

is a rather cheaper source of my second choice. I did find some good old fashioned solid brass I-beam rail at a more sensible price, but I was told I wasn't allowed (she hates brass, so doing a steampunk on the house is apparantly not on...)

Did ring the suppliers of the first rail - 3 suppliers on google seem to lead to different arms of the same company - rang 2 different numbers. Neither seemed very sure (don;t know their products???), but decided it wouldn't bend, probably...

This ali I beam stuff will let me get an almost flush fit to the ceiling in the bays.

Reply to
Tim Watts

We are doing a steampunk. Any sources for cheap brass I track? 8-)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Andy Dingley wibbled on Wednesday 17 February 2010 15:34

Not so much cheap, but cheaper than the first place I found:

pound a metre plus wibbly bits - looks the genuine article from what I can see, right down the the proper brassed wheeled roller hooks (which I might try with my ali rail if the nylon rollers turn out to be crap - she can't see the rollers and I won't tell her ;->

Reply to
Tim Watts