metal cover for exterior wiring running along walls

I've seen this on buildings but can't seem to find it for sale, or know what it is properly called to ask for it or search for it at screwfix. Can anybody help and advise where I can buy it from?

Where I have run wires along and down exterior walls (e.g the wire out to my shed) I want to get hold of some metal trim to fix over the wire and cover it up. Both to make it look tidier and to protect it low down from someone catching it (it is in a narrow alley).

The stuff i have seen was just a shaped section of galved metal that laid over the top of the wire and was nailed/screwed onto the wall on the flats on either side.

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

kind of like this PVC channel:

just big enough for one mains cable, and also in galvanised metal.

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

channel:

> but just big enough for one mains cable, and also in galvanised metal.

Or from TLC, who sell it in single lengths:

or

chrisj.doran

In message , Tom Woods writes

The sort of thing BT etc. use to protect their cables maybe. Perhaps some one in uk.telecom could point you in the right direction.

Reply to
Bill

Any electrical wholesaler. No idea what it is called 'some of that galvanised cover for exterior cables' works.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Steel capping, usually.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

=================================== Look in Wickes, B & Q etc. for 'galvanised channelling'. It may be in the plastering section as it's often used under plaster.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Or channeling like this

Bob Minchin

But that's really intended for internal use under plaster - I doubt that the galvanising thickness is enough to stand up to use outside for long. The proper stuff has a semi-circular 'hump' and is hot dip galvanised not electro-flashed, but I don't have a source I'm afraid.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 20:31:28 +0100, "Andrew Mawson" mused:

Chances are that's what the OP has seen though. It's better than nothing.

Reply to
Lurch

my

sale,

Loads of the proper stuff up the side of telegraph poles

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Comtec do the stuff I'm thinking of, but they might be trade only - not that that should really stop you... :-)

a friendly BT^H^H Openreach engineer...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

This sort of thing?

martin_pentreath

Yep - that's the stuff I've had from my wholesaler when I asked. Quite capable of withstanding a few mis-hits from a 4lb lump hammer when driving in the fixings.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Thanks everybody,

I will try and find some channeling and see if it looks like it will cope with being outside. I'd only seen that in PVC before.

Otherwise I will see if anywhere local does the capping or if i can get enough other stuff together to make it worth ordering from TLC or QVS.

Ta

Reply to
Tom Woods

Indeed. It will probably do the job, and should stand up to the weather for a fair while. I will check it out.

Just noticed that! ;) I think the neighbours might notice if i go remove it though!

Reply to
Tom Woods