metal back box used in dry wall - dangerous?

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Perhaps there's a bit of generalisation going on here.

Are ALL plastic accessories exactly the same dimensions?

Are the dimensions of all metal accessories identical to each other and to those of plastic accessories?

Are the flanges of all dry-partition boxes identical in dimensions and in relation to the accessory-fixing M3.5 machine screws?

Is there a rebade on the back of all accessories sufficient to allow the accessory to fit OVER the flange and lie flat against the wall surface?

Clearly many accessories do fit over the flange. Others may not.

Reply to
Appin

I've had some that do and some that don't. All of them hold the accessory slightly off the wall, leaving a space if they are out of sight. Unless the wall is skimmed after they are fitted, they will either show a flange, joint or gap if you look closely enough. I wouldn't.

Reply to
<me9

No. And things like the corner radius or profile varies between makes. Which is very obvious when fitting to a dry lined box

Not all but some are.

Dunno.

The snag is that although individual makers may list dry lining boxes specifically for their accessories, most suppliers will only stock the one make even although they stock a big range of accessory makes. Same as with metal boxes. But any make of flush metal box is usually suitable for any wiring accessory - with the exception of some grid type components, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

I agree completely.

My very simple point was -- and is -- that there are many situations in which dry lining boxes make a very neat and secure job and remain invisible.

Reply to
Appin

I have used them (almost) everywhere. None are visible. You need to take care to get them square, as there is very little margin for error when fitting faceplates, but every faceplate I have used (some brass, some chrome, some white plastic) has covered them completely.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

^^^^

If you change that to 'some' I'd just about agree. A first, I know. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I take it they were installed before the wall was skimmed?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I use the cheapish "pearl nickel" TLC ones mostly, unless that doesn't cover what I need, like grid switches, when the GET Ultimate ones (which the TLC ones appear to be a rip off) are a good match (but twice the price).

At TLC prices, it is more like 3x. I think they are worth the extra too and use them whereever visible, but it adds up to enough money that I don't want lousy white plastic flanges spacing them off the wall and taking away from the effect.

What I meant was it probably blends together more looking from the sides as they are both white plastic. Also as the sockets are proud of the wall anyway, the spacing off the wall isn't going to be so noticeable as with flush flat plates.

Reply to
boltmail

No. After. Some after painting too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Then please give the make of the boxes and sockets.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Newlec IIRC.

Sockets? MK's on the plastic mainly..some crabtrees.

The metals were 'heritage' range but not sure whose.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher