Metabo compound mitre - possible to calibrate - and good blade recommendations

Hi,

Picked up a variant of one of these many months back on a Screwfix mega special offer:

is 230V, no laser).

Whilst it's invaluable, I've noticed it seems slightly off on it's angles.

When cutting at 90 degrees, it seems a degree or two off compared to the line made by my fixed square. Not really a problem for rough studwork and random battens, but is there a way to adjust these things? The angle that's off is the table rotation, not the saw tilt. Whist both are infinately adjustable, table rotation has lock points and it's annoying that these don't seem quite right.

Tried the manual and looked at it, no obvious way to tweak it.

On another question - what would be a good second blade for finer work? It's got a coarse TCT blade which claims to cut plastics and non ferrous metals. I'd like a fine blade that can manage finer woodwork and plastics.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I'm sure someone will come along Tim, and tell you how to do it, but I'm surprised if there isn't an adjustment. I had to fettle my cheapy from Aldi/Lidls to get it square and there were lockable screws to do so.

Rob

Reply to
Rob G

Rob G coughed up some electrons that declared:

Thanks Rob - I'll unbolt it from the bench and have another look for secret adjustments. It's fairly nice (not that I can comapre - my first chop saw of any description) so it would be nice it it could cut bang on.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Can't see a top brand like Metabo not having some kind of adjustment. I have a little Wickes chop saw, an Axminster white SCMS and a 26 year old DeWalt RAS - all of which have adjustments.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

I have the answer. There's a couple of hex head mounting bolts underneath, which when loosened, have a couple of mm slack.

With the aid of a square between the back of the piece guide and the blade, I got the adjustment pretty much spot on.

Thanks :)

BTW - back to the other question: what would be a good blade for fine work - in terms of type, eg TCT or "normal" and teeth per inch?

The current blade is great for chopping studding, but it does splinter the edge, so I don't reckon it would be much use where neatness is required...

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

replying to Tim S, Glen woodsmith wrote: I use a DeWalt extreme 60 tooth in my metabo and use it all day second fixing. Smooth cuts, swiftly made.

Reply to
Glen woodsmith

right sawblade, wrong website. Come here via somewhere sensible & you don't get presented with queries from 2009

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr