Mesh filters in cooker hoods

After resiting my cooker hood and reading through the instructions I noticed that the mesh filters (metal) should not be cleaned in a dishwasher. In my previous house I done them once a month in the dishwasher for 15 years and it didnt seem to affect them. Anyone know why not? The only thing I can think of is the mesh trapping food particles.

Reply to
SS

They're normally made of aluminium mesh, which dissolves in dishwasher detergent. Maybe your old ones were made of something else?

Having said that, I've washed them in the dishwasher occasionally, between lettings. They have a large surface area which can trap an enormous amount of grease, and they need about twice the dose of detergent that a full dishwasher would normally have (at least, if you only do them occasionally).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Many of them do seem to be aluminium. Mine are stainless, and came with directions to use the dishwasher to clean them.

Reply to
S Viemeister

If they are aluminium (most are) dishwater detergent causes them to become oxidised and turn a dull and swirly black in parts.

In your previous house either they weren't ali, or were black from day one and therefore you never saw them any different.

Derek G

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Havent a clue. They were shiny and went in the dishwasher and remained bright and clean.

Reply to
SS

In message , SS writes

I clean ours in the sink with hot water and Oxyclean. All the grease just floats off.

Reply to
hugh