Reply to
Adrian Simpson

Probably your gas strut is now merely a strut, having lost its gas.

#1 New chair. These things aren't fixable, aren't intended to be fixable.

#2 New gas strut. Unless you're buying containerloads from China, new struts from strut shops cost more than a new chair from Viking.

#3 Another gas strut from another chair. Good fix in offices, as there's usually a gradual attrition of chairs for different reasons and you cna find spares.

#4 Convert it to a mechanically clamped chair, rather than a bouncy strut. If it's your chair, and your chair alone, this isn't a bad thing.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

What Andy says, with the added proviso: *Do not* attempt to dismantle the gas strut (unless, of course, you have a death wish). ;-)

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Worth looking at these people - the only downside is that delivery is typically 5 days rather than next day (although there is a limited next day range).

Bob Eager

And don't be tempted to weld anything near or back onto it either like someone I knew once did!..

With rather severe results;(..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Adrian Simpson writes

Thanks for the various replies (and the promptness), I think you've confirmed my diagnosis. The chair is one that I use at home, so cannibalising another one probably isn't an option. Looks like I'll have to have a rummage down the back of the settee to see what I can find in the way of loose change, and buy another :-(

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

It's worth visiting your friendly local used office furniture warehouse and seeing if they have something second hand in good condition.

Reply to
Dave Osborne

If its lost its gas, presumably its ok to drill through the lot and put a bolt in, fixing it at one height.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

The fourth option is the one I took with my chair. I found a bit of metal tube which fitted round the extending stem of the strut[1], thus stopping it from collapsing. The chair is now permanently at its max height - which is where I want it.

[1] ISTR that I had to remove and replace the end fixing of the strut in order to slide the tube over the stem. A bit fiddly, with some sort of spring clip - but do-able.
Reply to
Roger Mills

Yes and no. Assume that there is still _some_ gas pressure in there.

I wouldn't open one of these things myself, and I certainly wouldn't heat one. However I do quite happily get one of my machines to open it for me, either the pillar drill or the bandsaw. Either way though, watch out for high-pressure gas and flying swarf.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

NO!

Whilst the strut might have stopped working it doesn't mean that the strut has become depressurised, all that might have happened is that the valves within the strut have become faulty...

Reply to
Jerry