Memory Foam "with fingers"

I want to make various cushion-type objects with the aim of improving partner's ability to sit (e.g. in the car) so that she might actually be able to do so for more than a few minutes.

What I need (I think) is some memory foam with finger-like protrusions. I have a mattress topper which has these fingers but don't want to chop that up!

Because I am probably going to be iterating several designs (that sounds a bit grand for lash-up experiments!), I am trying to locate a source of relatively inexpensive foam - possibly offcuts or seconds. Once I know what I am doing, whether it works at all, then I won't mind paying for quality material. Any suggestions?

Also, is it possible to glue memory foam to itself (e.g. to shape a seat pad)? What glue? Techniques?

Reply to
Rod

In hospitals a system using bags filled with small polystyrene balls which can be molded around part of the patient and then evacuated using a vacuum pump to "fix" the shape is used.

Not sure whether this approach can be adapted for home use.

keywords "vacuum bags", "patient positioning" "inflatable splint"

Reply to
robert

That's a neat idea. For more info on how to evacuate the air, search for boat building techniques on vacuum bagging (which is a technique to apply equal pressure on a glass-fibre laminate when curing. They tend, I think, to use old fridge pumps or similar which you should be able to pick up cheaply.

Reply to
marpate1

Agreed - it is a very neat idea. But the result would be too firm. We have experimented with, for example, polystyrene bead-filled bean bags. On their own they are too hard; removing the air would make them even firmer.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Reply to
Rod

=================================== I doubt if you really need 'memory' foam, with or without 'fingers'. Ordinary foam comes in different densities and thicknesses and you can select according to your needs. Try your local yellow pages. Flat slabs can be cut to shape with an electric knife and pieces can be glued together to make profiled shapes. Clear Bostik will stick most foams but a foam supplier will probably sell a spray adhesive.

I made a car seat pad like this a few years ago - needed after a hip replacement - worked perfectly covered in smooth cloth.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Depends exactly what you are trying to achieve - if you want support then this allows you to mould exactly to the body shape - less pressure points - and you could always add a layer of foam to give a soft surface. Good Luck

Reply to
robert

Google and mail order. There are plenty of foam suppliers around. I usually use FoamForComfort.

I'm not a great fan of memory foam, although low-mobility _sitting_ cushions are one of the useful applications for it. I'm certainly not convinced about it for mattresses. Memory foams are only useful if there's no mobility over it, otherwise there are better choices.

Generally I tend to prefer _latex_ foams, often a thin (1") soft layer over a firmer core. Soft over firm laminations give the advantages of finger surfaces, without the disadvantages. Latex foams are also cheaper than memory foams, somewhere between memory and the high end of PU chipfoam. Latex also has advantages for fire resistance, if you're doing commercial work.

Occupational Therapists are also a good source of loaner cushions for the expensive materials. Some of these are a crazy price (=A3400 for an inflatable with fingers was one of the latest I saw) but they're worth trying out to see if this particular cushion type works for the individual. You might be able to afford a silly-money cushion if you already know it works for you, but it's a lot to waste on just taking a chance.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Hi,

Have a look at what is available for wheelchair seat cushions:

Mattress topper foam may be too soft for a seating, and 'bottom out'

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

There are lots of suppliers on eBay, findable by Google, etc. but their adverts never communicate how they handle trivial orders to individuals like me! Also, I have not yet found fingered memory foam. Well, I might have done, but it isn't easy to tell from some descriptions. I guess I will have to get in touch directly with some of them.

I think it is grossly over-priced, over-promoted and unsuited to many roles. But:

The mattress topper we bought after trying it on a fold-up bed in the shop and finding it to be amazingly comfortable. I would not go for one on a 'proper' bed.

We have researched (so far as we have been able) other people with similar-sounding problems. Memory foam does keep cropping up.

I shall try to check that out as well.

Just got to make contact with one... :-)

Yes - the idea of try-before-you-buy is very important at that sort of price.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Reply to
Rod

Lots and lots to think about.

On one of the sites found I saw this:

"The factors of consideration are: diagnosis, ...."

- well, a diagnosis would be a start. And lack of that is inhibiting everything else. She does not use a wheelchair, in fact she is more comfortable walking than sitting. The foam is meant to make car travel more acceptable when it is necessary or even just desired.

Reply to
Rod

There's a facility on Ebay to 'ask seller a question'. Try doing this and if you get no reply you know where not to buy. On the other hand you might get useful information.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Rod,

My wife suffers a *lot* from pain in the legs and bum from Sciatica so I can understand where you are coming from.

I also suffer from numb-bum syndrome from driving my van and thus far haven't found anything that supports the "pain" areas properly or provides relief.

We are awaiting a foam 3" topper to the mattress to see if it will allow enough relief for sleep, which up to now has been elusive.

My thoughts on pressure relief have gone to a gel filled pad. Not the solid gel ones but one that stays flexible enough to allow the gel to absorb pressure and jolts without passing on the movement. See

have a wheelchair gel pad in the van but it's f***ng cold and quite solid.

Reply to
RW

Partner has been told that she has sciatica - but she hasn't. Of that we are sure. :-)

Thankfully, sleep isn't too bad - at least from a comfort point of view. Just a normal, decent mattress. Is that latex, urethane or memory foam?

Can't you pipe some warm water from the engine coolant system... :-)

Reply to
Rod

SWMBO is going to get a blood test to ruel out anything else.

Memory foam topper. Ebay item 280206505981 if you want to view it. Cheaper than many other suppliers by over 50% ! They also do all the bed matresses to in memory foam.

Hmmmmmmmmm................. That needs looking into ;-)

Reply to
RW