melamine edging strip question.

I need to get some of this for some shelves I am making out of surplus kitchen units, most is advertised as `iron on` I dont know why (maybe age) but for some reason I would prefer using contact adhesive. Can the contact adhesive be used on the `iron on` stuff. Am I just not moving with the times?

Reply to
ss

the iron on stuff I used over 20 years ago is still in place

worked for me

Reply to
TMC

Thanks TMC I have only ever used contact adhesive, so wasnt sure about durability.

Reply to
ss

The iron on just has a heat adhesive on it. It does not take up the same room as contact and is easy to apply. Trimming it is what takes skill. :))

Reply to
Ericp

Trimming is no problem as long as it sticks.

Reply to
ss

Aye, put on properly the iron on stuff lasts well. It takes more than a couple of quick passes with a warm iron to do properly.

Use of a bit of grease proof paper to keep the sole of the iron clean is vital, particularly if the iron normally has launduary duties...

Wait for the iron to heat up, cut the strip to length plus a bit at each end. Warm the edge of the board with the iron, apply the strip checking the align met is correct along the length, start at one end heating with light pressure and make your way to the other. This is a sort of first fix if the alignment goes out you should be able to correct it. Then a slow pass with moderate pressure paying attention to the edges, cant the iron over a little to ensure the edges are bonded. Leave to cool completely before trimming, that is the tricky bit.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The Medway Handyman

Thanks for the link, it looks like a neat tool although I probably wont get one as I wont require it after this project.

I have trimmed a few over the years, thats not a problem.

Reply to
ss

For extra points, rub a sanding block over the strip, ideally a block of cork but smooth wood will do as well.

Trim, using a razor-sharp wood chisel with the flat on the surface of the wood. Immediately round off the edge of the melamine strip with fine sandpaper, or the sharp edge will lead to cuts.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Yep iron on works fine ..