mega storm on the way,

SWMBO is a bit of a weather nerd: the talk is that it will be bloody severe.

Also high storm surges.

Batten down the hatches and be prepared for rural power cuts and significant tree damage...

so far here in the Easty the wind's picking up a tad, but nothing exceptional. 1000 and falling on the old baro..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , The Natural Philosopher scribeth thus

tony sayer

Don't frighten people - it's not everywhere according to the Met Office.

Have a look here :-

Hugh Jampton

nicknoxx

Yesterday Metcheck was forecasting winds of 270mph+!

Whenever something goes really out of range (and pressure is going to be _very_ low), Metcheck does tend to get awfully confused. 8-)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not sure I've ever seen it below 970...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Low to medium AVERAGE wind speeds do not normally have high gusts with them

- just a little higher. Have another look at the link I posted.

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher saying something like:

Nothing.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Luvly jubbly!

Fence panels down, garder gates wrecked, gutter problems, shed roofs - bring it on!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Mean speed here currently is in the upper 20's mph, mid Force 6 (Strong Breeze). It's been like that for the last 4 hrs. Nothing out of the ordinary, just a bit blowy. Anemometer is rather low, I suspect you can add 20mph to that at chimney height. When the scaffolding was up there was a *very* marked difference between ground level and chimney level.

Temp is 2C and also steady. With that wind it won't be nice out wind chill down to -15C... The precipitation, when it arrives, may well be snow, the tops down to about 2,200' had a scattering of snow this morning.

Gusts are generally 10 to 15mph above the mean. the higher gusts here are getting to the upper 30's mph.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Bloody ambulance chaser..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sounds like a fine day in Wellington.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Those wouldn't happen to be ones that you recently worked on would they?

Reply to
Unbeliever

Being charitable, he didn't actually get it wrong; he was talking about something else entirely.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman" saying something like:

A spot of schadenfreude always goes down well. Just like when the proprietor of my local tyre depot didn't take it too well when I told him to f*ck off as he appeared, rubbing his hands, at the sight of punctures.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon