Medway tosser.

Here`s what you get for trying to help a beginner. Who was asking how to join 3/4" copper to 22mm fittings. I used to think people were a bit unfair on him.Well,I`m one of these people now. He won`t know what a real merchant is as he won`t go into them to be embarrassed when the counter guy asks what he wants as he obviously hasn`t a clue.

mark

't wish to upset any applecarts or anything, but I've been in the building game in one form or another for 25 years and I've never heard of a 'real merchants' neither.

And neither has yell.com, or google for that matter

Reply to
Phil L

You think people were a bit unfair as well? ok that's nice.

why are you posting a link to a thread that is still live?

Reply to
John Rumm

What Mark means ( and most readers would realise this) is a real plumbers merchant compared to a typical DIY shed or indeed the general builders merchants who in my area don't seem to serve the plumbers needs very well.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Just to clear this up;

You suggested I go to a real merchant and ask for a 'green' olive. This sounded like a wind up to me, similar to 'tartan paint' & a 'long wait'. 'Green Olive' as in something you eat or drop into a Martini.

I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that you thought it a good idea to encourage me to go to a plumbers merchant, ask for a 'green olive' and be ridiculed by them.

There are people around here who would go out of their way to embarrass/denigrate others. It makes you kinda wary.

So, if there is such a thing as a 'green' olive in plumbing terms, 'green' meaning "not fully developed or perfected in growth or condition" - IOW perhaps not properly hardened - then I publicly apologise to you and thank you for your help.

I have only heard the phrase 'green olive' in connection with fruit.

For the record I buy all my plumbing stuff from a local independent plumbers merchant rather than online/shed. They are featured on my web site.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Never heard of getting green olives from plumber's merchants either. I'd have lumped it in with the long weight school of apprentice rite-of-passge prank.

And I do have a little stock of 3/4" olives that fit 22mm compression fittings in my van. Bought from BES, but if I were desperate I'd get some from a PM ... but I'd expect a long weight too ;-)

Reply to
YAPH

> Don't wish to upset any applecarts or anything, but I've been in the

Phil L,

Then you have not lived Phil :-)

Within a 12 mile radius of where I reside, there are around 5 independant plumbers merchants (not including the Plumb Center or PTS) who literally will sell anything (in the plumbing range) from an olive to a complete central heating system (either in bulk or small quantities), and their staff are extremely knowledgable and helpful along with good, competative pricing policy - and they each seem to have specialties in different fields.

Unbeliever

Reply to
Unbeliever

>>> Don't wish to upset any applecarts or anything, but I've been in the

I too have half a dozen decent plumbers merchants within a few miles of my house. The OP said 'real merchants'....I now realise he meant to say, 'real plumbers merchants', as opposed to handymans outlets and homebase etc, but it's not much use him moaning now, seeing as it was his mistake in the first place.

Reply to
Phil L

I too have never heard of a green olive (in the context of plumbing!).

I would and have asked for 3/4" olives and got them.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I'm not a plumber but yes, I've heard of green olives. A while ago, but I'm sure I recall a plumber telling me that they are used for matching metric/imperial fittings/pipe. There's a short mention of them here though

see 4th from bottom.

Reply to
Neil

I think you'll find that if you read the adjacent posts in that thread, they are on about the edible variety as well...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Next time you go can you get me a bucket of blue steam pse.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

They're known as green olives because they are .....err green! Presumably so you do'nt confuse them with standard 22mm olives. Allan

Reply to
Allan Mac

Don't worry Dave, It is not a pi88 take. I've tended to refer to them as

3/4" conversion olives in the past but they do have a dab of green marker on them. I used loads of them when I moved into my current house (in 1982) as I was re-plumbing on a very tight budget and wanted to re-use pipe when I could. I'm still there and no leaks so they do work. BTW they convert 3/4 pipe to fit a 22mm fitting not the other way round.

Good Luck

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I thought Dave's 'tartan paint' bit quite apt for reel merchants.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mine are, er, not green. They're a shiny coppery brown colour, same as regular 22mm olives (but thicker: if I get them mixed up I just try them on a bit of pipe - 22mm olives on 22mm pipe: snug; 3/4" on 22mm: wobbly;

22mm on 3/4 pipe: no go)
Reply to
John Stumbles

Isn't 3/4 pipe slightly smaller than 22mm?

Reply to
<me9

3/4 * 25.4mm = 19.05mm

mark

Reply to
mark

Imperial size pipe is measured by its bore (the hole down the middle), whereas metric is measured by its outside diameter.

The bore is much more relevant for calculations of water flow. The outside diameter is relevant to the size of the pipe clips to use. :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Plus wall thickness x2? I'd guess about 21.5.

Reply to
<me9