Medway

Medway is gonna be busy this weekend, I reckon.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

In article , Arthur writes

In case anyone hasn't noticed!...

tony sayer

?????????????

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Dover != Medway, but

Andy Burns

jelly-like sideways wobble. Epicentre was in the Channel near Dover; that's where the damage is.

Mind, charge for travelling time on each call, and stay at a campsite...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Didn't the earth move for you?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Nothing here at all Bob. Not a tremor.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It rarely does these days :-(

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Was felt in Essex, apparently. I have to say that I probably wouldn't have noticed it (or would have put it down to passing traffic) if I hadn't been lying in bed, with silence all around, when it happened.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Its all D-I-Y ;--!....

Reply to
tony sayer

The current underground nuclear testing must stop or we will see a major disaster soon.

Reply to
Bob

Of course, it's obvious why. The BBC reports this morning said it affected 'Kent'. And they outlined 'Kent' in red on their on-screen map. With a big chunk out of the top.

Yes, they showed the KCC area, omitting the Medway Unitary area. So, the BBC reports obviously affected the earthquake area!

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , tony sayer writes

fortune....

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Certaintly did here in folkestone :-/

Given that wasn't exactly a "real" quake (4.3 is nothing really) I'm now pretty certain I really wouldn't want to live somewhere that has earthquakes as a common occurance.

Something not very pleasant about finding it difficult to walk across the dining room with a mug of tea (although I managed to avoid spilling it \o/)

Still, we got off lightly - a slight crack in the plaster that appears with a bit of digging to be nothing worse than that (I couldn't even say

100% it wasn't there before but SWMBO insists not).

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Well, I found them quite amusing when working in California, as someone who hadn't grown up being used to them. Of course, buildings in such areas are designed to handle them. Even fairly notable ones which leave all the lights and blinds swinging and creaking sounds from the building didn't ever result in any plaster cracks that I noticed. I think the largest was a 5.2 which was a couple of miles away. It trashed the K-mart due to setting off the sprinklers and burned down someones house due to a fractured gas pipe, but apart from that, there was nothing to show for it in the area. There were larger ones, but they were further away.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I was in Taiwan in Sep 1999 when the 7.6 quake hit. It was 1.50am and I was in bed trying to sleep (jetlag). First it went quiet as the aircon stopped, then the room started shaking (8th floor of a hotel). I tried to stand up but couldn't. The sliding wardrobe doors were swaying backwards and forwards, making a huge racket. After a min or so it stopped. At first the hotel reception said that it was just a normal shake - nothing to worry about. 15 mins later they put out a message for everybody to go to the lobby. Some of the rooms at the top of the hotel had been trashed. Outside there was no obvious signs of any damage, apart from the power cuts. It was hard to believe over 2000 people died.

I've been back several times since, and have experienced smaller shocks, but I still find it a completely un-nerving experience. The locals, of course, are much more relaxed about it.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin