Medium or firm mattress for toddlers bed ?

Hi, apologies if this is a bit off topic.

We're buying a small double bed for our 20 month son off the internet and will probably buy the mattress too as there's very litle choice in small double beds/mattresses in bed shops. The layout of the room dictates the 4ft size.

The mattresses available are either medium, medium-to-firm or firm feel (though I don't think we'd get firm). Anybody got any thoughts on what 'feel' is best for a small child, though hopefully he'll be in it for a few years.

The bed and mattresses we're looking at is on the following link.

John

Reply to
jgkgolf

It'll probably be peed on so much you'll be glad to get rid of it after a couple of years.

My local Focus were doing a range of beds and mattresses at the weekend, but they're closing down, so it may be a one off

Reply to
Stuart Noble

link.http://www.bedsonlegs.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_4__Small_Double_Laana_Be...>> Thanks, John

Well what would you like to sleep on if you were 20 months old?

Reply to
adder1969

Maybe it's childhood obesity rather than precosity ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Chidren mature so early these days.......

Reply to
S Viemeister

I'm just shocked that 20 month olds are demanding double beds in their bedrooms.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

All my children went straight from cots to futons ( six layer ) - hasn't done them any harm.....though I've no doubt they were sometimes a bit fed up at not being able to bounce up and down on the beds...

I doubt you'd have any problems with a medium-firm mattress.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

I would be wary of putting a small child in a double bed - they so easily helicopter around and end up buried at the bottom smothered by covers...mine have all had 2ft 6inch beds with softy carpet in case they fall out!

20 months old weigh bugger-all - doesn't make much physical difference to them AFAICS.
Reply to
Maria

In message , Maria writes

Our now almost 3yo has been in a double bottom bunk since she moved in with her sister - probably at the beginning of the year. Never been a problem for her, and much nicer to snuggle down with on with them than

2'6 bed (she was in that for a bit in the other room).

IME small toddler are more likely to end up uncovered rather than buried under the covers, anyway they are old enough to to get smothered by the covers

Yep. I'd probably go with a cheap mattress for now, if it does get a bit iffy from being weed on or whatever, you can replace it with better one once they are a bit older

Reply to
chris French

He doesn't use blankets at the moment and won't for quite a while, he sleeps in a grobag thingy, sort of like a sleeping bag (nothing to do with tomatoes). We might get one of those side protection barrier things to ensure he doesn't fall out though if he does we do have carpet and good underlay.

Reply to
jgkgolf

I've never used a siderail (was always on a low income) - I've had 5 children and every single one of them has fallen out of bed (and didn't even wake up..) - they've also all fallen down the stairs! In my daughter's case, it was quite deliberate. She would get up in the morning and literally roll down the stairs giggling all the way. I think young children must be made of rubber as they just bounced and never seemed to hurt themselves - they would just get up and walk off, and we had more fuss and pain when they over four years old or something and had accidents. The only time I ever used a stairgate was when we had an open spiral staircase which was really dangerous (to adults and children alike!) I would use a stairgate in the house I am in now though as it is sideways and when you reach the bottom there is a wall 2ft 6in away! I suppose someone might tell me off now, but we just didn't have that stuff when I was young, or the money for it - we just learned to climb the stairs properly and safely!

Reply to
Maria

My parents never used to wear seatbelts in cars and they're still alive....

Reply to
adder1969

They seem to fall out of a new bed once, usually on the first night. Then, if they sleep in a strange bed, they fall out of that as well, but again only the once. Strange little creatures.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I blame duvets. If blankets are used and are properly tucked in, it's almost impossible to fall out of bed, and if one does then one's progress is greatly slowed by the necessity of pulling the blankets out.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

A double? Isn't he a bit young to have girlfriends to stay over?

Reply to
Andrew May

Ah, that would be 'child model ARX-111/87/RB46/499-C/DE2' - I have 'child model ARD-190/87/RB46/419-B/CF3' , who, on finding he can't easily wriggle out of the blanket and sleep on top of the bed facing the wrong way, wakes up and howls.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Has Sir considered investing in soundproof bedroom doors?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I thought about it..but for a few groats more I can have a fully fitted dungeon, complete with deluxe iron maiden ( plays theme to Postman Pat ) and genuine reproduction 'comfy chair'.

...Or I could just bung him in the shed..

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

That would be a waste of a perfectly good shed. Besides, he might damage something sharp.

Owain

Reply to
Owain