Mechanical Digital Locks

Bleeding speil chucker s/ITEM/ITYM/g

Reply to
dennis

I checked the 1st one and it specifically said 4 digits from 12 button in any sequence

I didn't download the PDF for the 2nd one (until now) and yes you can set it between 2 and 6 digits from 10 buttons, depends if you cn test it after 2 digits and then proceed to 3,4,5 and digits without resetting it (i.e. it has a seprarate "C" buuton to clear it) or if turning to test the combination also resets it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, and cheaper than jmlock from fleabay

Andy Burns

Wipe the buttons from time to time.

I've got in to such locks by looking at which buttons were shiney compared to the others and just trying those 4 in various orders, starting with some sort of linear (phyically) pattern - which is a favourite.

If the lock allows a digit to be used twice in different parts of the code, do it - it does throw pattern guessers off a bit....

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Was a visitor yesterday at a building with a keypad lock. The four digits of the code are entirely worn away - the other five (or is it six? - can't remember if it had a zero) are pristine. And the receptionist called out the number to me. They don't even know how to spell security...

Reply to
polygonum

porches,

I make a habit with mine ( and I have several) of pressing a few random numbers once the lock is undone, so that the marks of use dont give the numbers away.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Thanks for all the advice. Now I've got to ponder...

Reply to
Devany

I think the codelock at my bank for access to the 'back of house' (where the posh customer interview room with the coffee machine is) has an LCD touchscreen and the layout of the numbers on the pad randomises.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

They're commonly fitted by social services to the front doors of private houses. For instance, my grandmother was housebound for some months and had four visits a day from paid carers, plus family. SS fitted a combined lock that could be opened with a key or the keypad, so that their carers wouldn't have to carry keys for each house that they would visit during the day.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

That's odd (and expensive) compared with fitting a key safe, which is what they normally do IME. Same considerations apply, though.

Reply to
Mike Barnes