Mechanical Digital Locks

Hullo.

Could anyone comment on the security or otherwise of mechnical digital locks.

Stuff like:

ask, in particular, because I'm concerned that they all appear to have no sequence to the combination number and this could make them pretty vulnerable.

More vulnerable than a 3 lever mortice?

Thanks & regards

Reply to
Devany

Not all of them let you enter the code in any order. We use some at work for access to medium-secure areas where a constantly changing list of people need access and it would be too expensive to administer the keys. Two minutes to change the combination and send the memo, as against a new lock and new keys every time someone leaves. The same if someone admits to losing a key, or their note of the combination.

As to how vulnerable they are compared with a 3 or 5 lever mortice, they're physically as strong, but have weaknesses in regard to code security, in that people will often give the code to a "new worker" who doesn't know it. Without knowing the code, you'd need a few minutes undetected access to work thrugh the combinations on average. Then again, it's not unknown for people to have a spare key made "just in case I lose it", then proceed to leave the spare in an unsecure location.

The easiest way to open a lot of locked interior doors is with a good kick in the right place, as it's the frame attachments that are the weakest point.

Reply to
John Williamson

The cheaper manual ones don't have a sequence, so if you set 1234 as the code then 4321 or 1342 would open them. I think the more expensive digital ones do have a sequence.

I've only ever bought them from SF/TS for low security deterrent use.

Depends if they have a clue about the possible combination.

My daughter comes across the 4 digit key safes quite often. If they don't know the combo, they ask a neighbour how old the caller is & try either the DOB or the birthday & in 80% of cases that works.

Physically they seem pretty strong.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

4/12 * 3/11 * 2/10 * 1/9 = 459 codes for the 12 button 4/10 * 3/9 * 2/8 * 1/7 = 210 codes for the 10 button

Given that on average it will take half that number of attempts, I wouldn't want one "protecting" an outside door, or even an internal door that wasn't overseen e.g by passing staff.

Reply to
Andy Burns

A couple of years back I had a pilots case and the 4 digit lock had been left locked. Couldnt remember the code and googled hoping there was a quick fix, I found a sequence of numbers to use (trial & error) or rather how to use a sequence of numbers to cover all combinations without duplicating. It took me around 20 minutes to open it. Of course once I knew the code I was P.... off that I never remembered it.

Reply to
SS

While the first says that, I didn't see anything on the Borglocks site to say theirs worked that way.

It depends upon what you want to use them for. I've only ever seen them used to prevent casual unauthorised access within a building. For that they are perfectly adequate, but I wouldn't use one as the only lock on a final exit door. There are far more effective (and expensive) code lock systems for that application.

It is important to keep the surface clean. Otherwise, you get dirty marks build up around the keys in use, making it simple to see which ones to press. Changing the codes from time to time, to avoid wear on the numbers, is also a good idea.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

These

are quite good but change the combination regularly as the buttons can wear showing which ones are used. They are sequential and so more secure. They are accepted by govt for restricted access.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

If you want security .... rotary combination with electronic display, powered by the user spinning the dial ...

Andy Burns

Pretty much any consumer grade number lock as found on suitcases etc can be opened in under a minute by someone who has had a bit of practice. I've seen it done, and it takes me maybe five minutes to do.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Correct, or at least correct for our one, it doesn't matter what order you enter the digits. At least that's true until it gets a bit worn, then it does matter a bit.

Ours is simply for minor security on an outside shed, a combination lock is far better than one with a key in terms of convenience.

Reply to
tinnews

I have never seen any real sense in locking a suitcase, especially a small one. Anyone who is going to steal it is surely better off taking the whole case and opening it at their leisure somewhere.

Reply to
tinnews

We use the C200 (and derivatives) model at school, but only as a secondary lock for during the daytime when doors need to be accessible to staff but keep out strangers. At night we also use mortice and other locks as well.

They are just as physically strong as any 'normal' lock really, though as ours are used a lot, 40+ staff, they get a bit sloppy with age and they definitely don't last long if used in a fully exposed position. Fine within porches mind. If you do fit them I'd recommend initially spraying them with 3in1 or WD40, there's a lot of initial wear and this simple spray adds to the life expectancy and ease of use immensely, especially in the exposed position, where they need spraying monthly to keep them working well.

I wouldn't recommend them as a primary lock, but how we use them they are pretty good.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk:

I lock my case to discourage airport baggage handlers, hotel staff, etc.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Amazing how many are simply left with the factory standard code. One popular range sets off as 4 and 2 together then 3. I leave you to discover which one.

Reply to
cynic

Are they available off the shelf in the UK?

Reply to
The Other Mike

Especially if travelling too or from the USA when the TSA goons will vandalise your luggage, without recompense, if they want to look inside it.

Reply to
Huge

Not really. They are there to slow down an attack, just as any lock is.

A professional can pick a 3 lever lock in a few seconds, its going to take him longer than that to defeat the combination lock.

Whatever you do don't set it to four digits, most people use four digits and then set it to the year of their birth. So that reduces the number of tries to 19xx.

Also don't use them where anyone can spend the time to try the combinations without being seen. You will be amazed at how many key safes handymen put inside porches, around the back, etc. where a thief can spend as long as he likes to try combinations.

You can buy electronic ones which are far more difficult to "pick" as they can have more combinations.

Obviously having a 5 lever lock and a combination lock is far more secure.

Reply to
dennis

The maths is probably wrong as on most you don't have to use four digits. If I were to set one to use five digits you would never find it using those (implied) sequences.

Reply to
dennis

The government has many levels of restricted access, they may only be good for restricting staff access to the loo.

I looked at the one above and they don't support many combinations as you can only use each button once in a combination. You can use more than one button at the same time but that then stops you using those buttons again.

Reply to
dennis

ITEM IV and II together then III

Reply to