Measuring stair carpet

OK. So carpet is normally sold on a roll 3m (13ft) wide and when you measure you're rooms you need to remember this. Which means sometimes you have to buy a bit more because thats the way it comes off the roll.

What about stair carpet ? OK. My stairs are'nt 13 ft wide but are quite long. Forgetting about things like patterns, can you measure your stairs, and divide this into two ?

What I mean is say the 'length' of carpet (inc. up and down bits) is

30ft and the width is, say 5ft. Can't I just buy 15ft of carpet (off the roll 13ft wide) and split this down the middle leaving two lengths 15ft x 6.5ft ? Then stick it on with a join in the middle of the stairs ?
Reply to
paul williams

You also have to measure for turns and lapping into the corner of the tread and rise if you're making a neat job of the edges.

Reply to
BigWallop

Carpet is also available in several stair-width sizes, apart from 13'.

See

for details of how to measure for stair carpet.

See also

Addison The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at
NOSPAM from address to reply

Reply to
Phil Addison

If you join stair carpet, you need to join it at the back of a tread - so that one piece covers the tread, and the other piece ends at the bottom of the riser. This is best done with two gripper strips - one on the riser and one on the tread, with both lots of spikes pointing towards the corner. If you do cut a wide strip down the middle, make sure that you buy a long enough piece to allow for joining in a corner - and *not* in the middle of a tread - and you may need more still if pattern matching is required.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Mills