Measuring power consumption of immersion heater?

AFAICS, a supply doesn't have a power factor. It is determined entirely by the load downstream.

In the simplest terms, the generator is responsible for the alternating voltage, but your load is responsible for drawing the current. Given the available voltage at the point of connection, your load is the sole determinant of the magnitude of the current that it will draw, and its phase angle relative to the applied voltage. Therefore the PF is solely a property of your load.

I see your point, but let's build this up one step at a time.

The simplest case is a single generator and a single load, connected by a loss-free line. As the consumer, you measure the power factor of whatever load you choose to apply. Meanwhile, the supplier measures the power factor of the load that *it* sees, back at the generator output. In this very simplest case, the consumer's and the supplier's measurements of PF are obviously the same.

Now add another consumer and another load. Each individual consumer measures a PF that is determined by the current flowing into his own individual load. The other consumer's load may affect your supply voltage, but it does *not* affect the PF of your load (unless the load happens to be non-linear - but that is still entirely a property of your local load, not the supply).

Meanwhile, back at the generator, the supplier can measures the PF of

*its* load, as seen at the generator output terminals. This will depend on the individual PFs of the two separate consumers' loads, line lengths etc; but it does not depend on the generator - the generator itself doesn't *have* a PF.

The complications arise when we have a distributed network with several generators, a very large number of loads, propagation delays and line losses. As you know, this is a hugely complex situation which includes the possibility of generators not being synchronised, and not necessarily contributing power to the network. This blurs the boundaries between "generator" and "load", as the network has some characteristics of both.

But even then, the same basic principles apply. Each individual generator has only one set of output terminals, and sees the rest of the network as its load. So it is still the *load* that has a PF - not the generator. I'm not sure how the "network PF" is defined... but it still doesn't affect you.

When you connect a load somewhere on the network, all the complexities drop away - we're right back to basics with a single connection point. Your load is the sole determinant of the current that it draws, and the phase angle relative to the applied voltage is still determined entirely by the characteristics of your load.

Whatever may be happening in the network upstream of your connection point, it does not concern you. When you connect a load, it will affect the voltage/current relationships somewhere back upstream in the supply network (at least to some small extent) but it still doesn't affect the PF of your load, as measured by you at your single point of connection.

[*] Another important detail is that the other load(s) must not affect the waveform of the alternating voltage available to you. That is why there are restrictions on the harmonic and non-sinusoidal content that loads may throw back into the supply. However, I don't believe that is where the original question was coming from.

Hope this makes sense, because the coffee mug's empty now.

Reply to
Ian White

Power factor is a function of the load. They can protect their supplies from a poor load power factor by adding a load with a poor power factor out of phase in the opposite direction.

In the olden days this was usually done with banks of capacitors, or synchronous motors where the exitation can be varied to change the power factor.

National grid do not like poor power factors, it increases the losses on the system. If you are an industrial user with a poor power factor load, you will be charged extra for your supplies. This encourages such users to correct their loading.

Reply to
<me9

No I haven't! I accidently missed out "generation" from "power ... companies" when I mad a correction.

There are two seperate issues.

Consumers Power Factor.

This is the users responsibility and depends on the applied votage and the phase angle of the consumers load current. (I know the supply isn't truly sinusiodal and this clouds the issue a bit). If this is too far from unity the energy supplier will want corrections made.

Power Factor as seen by Generation Plant.

This is the total of all consumers powers factors plus any losses in the transmission system. The generation companies want this to be as near unity as possible.

I still haven't seen a post the explains thet the supply has a power factor by definition. How does it and what is this definition?

Reply to
John Evans

Thanks for the informative answer. It seems that the power factor of the supply into my house is guaranteed to be 1. However I believe the mutual capacitance and inductance of the power lines and other equipment has to be compensated for as well.

tom.harrigan

Interesting. So the supply cable from the local transformer to my house doesn't constitute a load. It must be superconducting?

tom.harrigan

Ian

Thanks for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive answer. I'd realised that if all loads were in parallel then there would be no mutual effect, but I was just wondering if the complexities of the distribution network might introduce a phase shift.

I guess I'll just have to accept that the power factor of my kettle is

0.99! T
Reply to
tom.harrigan

The supply to a premises can only be voltage. How closely the phase relationship of the appliances' load currents follow the supplied voltage determines the power factor. The supply company doesn't supply a current - this is determined purely by the load imposed by the consumer. IOW if you place no load on the supply, there is no current, therefore no power - where does power factor stand? The effects of power lines/transformers etc are the worry of the supply company.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Yes, the supply is going to be close to a true sine wave with stable voltage and frequency. This is really all the suppliers can do. The actual power factor is then dictated by the reactive components of any load you apply.

What the distribution network will seek to prevent is the waveform they supply you being affected by the loads that are imposed on it by the end users and by reactive elements within the distribution network itself.

There is also an unwanted feedback element at work here. Say you place a capacitive load across your supply, then the amount of current lead will dictate the power factor. However if the supplier lets through an amount of harmonic noise on the supply at entry to your property, then the reactance presented by your load would be different (i.e. lower) for the higher frequency noise component of the the supply waveform. The lower power factor now being more likely to hinder the ability of the network to supply the next customer with a clean supply.

Reply to
John Rumm

Sorry, Tom, I'm afraid you still haven't quite got it.

Power factor is ONLY defined looking in the DOWNstream direction from the connection point. That is an absolute - "by definition", no exceptions, not negotiable.

The only power factor that you can measure is for the load that YOU have connected, DOWNstream of YOUR connection point.

The supply cable is part of the power company's load, but is not part of YOUR load because it is upstream from you. Therefore it is definitively not involved in your power factor measurements.

Other details have been mentioned, but you do need to get hold of that basic principle before you can ever understand how the other details fit in.

(Those details are mainly about "pathological" types of loads that can modify the waveform of a weak incoming power supply. They can only do that because in some sense those loads are also acting as generators, so the definitions of "upstream" and "downstream" become blurred. But for normal passive loads, those definitions remain clear and absolute.)

Reply to
Ian White

You still haven't got it.

The power factor(PF) that a consumer are concerned about is the one your total load produces. This is measured with reference to the supply terminals to your premises. The additional PF produced by the cable , Grid System etc, are only of concern to the power companies - in fact you can't "see it". You are charged for the power you use.

The supply to your premises consists of a nominal sinusoidal EMF of

240v (assuming single phase and UK), a nominal frequency of 50Hz (assuming UK) and the ability to supply an amount of current. It can't have a PF - by definition - as there is no current flowing into your premises until a load is connected. Therefore no power is dissapated.

Current is required to produce power, and that, with its phase angle relative to supplied EMF, is what the PF is all about.

It is meaningless to say that the supply has a PF of 1 (I and V in phase) as it implies that there must always be a resitive load drawing current somewhere beyond your load. If there wasn't a load, there couldn't be a current drawn, power dissaptated or a PF to measure!

The PF is related to the co-sine of the phase angle between supplied EMF and your load current. A PF of 1 is zero degrees phase shift and the PF of a purely reactive load is zero and the phase angle is 90 deg. Zero PF doesn't mean zero current. A practical circuit has an impedance giving an angle and PF somewhere between zeo and unity. Hopefully nearer the latter.

The following link gives a good description and also explains why the power companies are concerned about the PF.

power companies are concerned with the overall PF - consumers, transmission lines etc - as a poor PF means that more power is required for a given useage. These losses are further compounded by distorted waveforms, cbale resistance etc.

Reply to
John Evans