MDF primer - water based

Will have some cut edges of MDF to prime / paint (window boards). Toolstation have water-based MDF primer !!?? I thought water raised the fibres, so would should used non-water based stuff. So what use is this stuff. What is the formulation ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Prime, then sand, repeat as necessary

Reply to
newshound

It is rather expensive. Would varnish thinned with white spirit do the job ? I've got some varnish in the shed ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson