May OT: Stairlift

Sorry if its OT, but I couldn't find a better group for it.

Has anyone any experience of stairlifts, particularly Stannah, Bede, Meditek or Minivator?

What were the reps like? Did they do everything they said they would? Was the best price offered first time or did they fall into the Double Glazing barter system?

Cheers Steve

Reply to
Stephen Williams

It may or may not be of interest to you but we recently lost an elderly aunt and there is a Bison Bede stairlift in the house for sale. Two actually as the first rise is 11 steps and the second is 3 steps. The unit is old but in good working order having had a new joystick control on the bottom chair about three months ago. Buyer to remove but price about £250 for the lot. Location near Goole in Yorkshire. Remove AS if you want to reply direct.

John

Reply to
John

Yes but not those makes.

I always assumed the latter, since theyre generally poor products at unbelievably high prices. Just how long does it take to get up the stairs on one of those things, and why?

I dont spose youre in for the DIY option...

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

| > Has anyone any experience of stairlifts, particularly Stannah, Bede, Meditek | > or Minivator? | >

| > What were the reps like? | > Did they do everything they said they would? | > Was the best price offered first time or did they fall into the Double | > Glazing barter system? | >

| > Cheers | > Steve | | Yes but not those makes. | | I always assumed the latter, since theyre generally poor products at | unbelievably high prices. Just how long does it take to get up the | stairs on one of those things, and why? | | I dont spose youre in for the DIY option... | | | Regards, NT

I haven't assumed anything about them, even though I am concerned about the method of sale. I don't know how long they take to get up the stairs, but the why is because my elderly aunt has fallen down and broken her hip. There was a suggestion that she moved into a bungalow, but as she says her husband spent a lot of time on the garden and she doesn't want to leave her friendly neighbours.

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Williams

It might be worth asking in the relatively new group uk.people.disability.transport :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

A friend had a Stanna installed for her Mother. She (the friend) is a very savvy person, though not short of a bob or two, Stanna seemed to have a fixed price, and was not cheap. It worked fine and did what it said on the label. When, sadly it was no longer needed Stanna offered a derisory price to buy it back, which my friend would not do. She tried to give it to charity but in the end just binned it.

This may not be helpful, but it is some info.

Reply to
Broadback

Likewise, my late mother had a Stannah. It worked at an acceptable speed, and even went round a bend, i.e a single lift, not two sections like John's. I don't know about the original purchase machinations, but when she died, Stannah didn't seem interested in buying it back. They muttered things about "made to measure", but surely at least the chair and straight lengths are reusable? I guess the inevitable reality is that they have too many "can you buy it back?" requests. In the end we gave it away to someone for a d-i-y installation for his own mother. I don't know whether he succeeded.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Doran

Stannah may be the biggest name, but there are now a number of firms selling stair-lifts, who all behave like this.There are firms advertising second-hand lifts, but you may find they are not so very much cheaper (than buying new) as you might hope.

Regards, VivienB

Reply to
VivienB

Probably the necessity for anti-dalek insurance.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Probably insurance is a major cost. Anti-dalek policies are not cheap.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Apparently it got so expensive in the US that you can't buy such products there anymore at all.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote | > Probably insurance is a major cost. | > Anti-dalek policies are not cheap. | Apparently it got so expensive in the US that you can't buy | such products there anymore at all.

It's a shame, because those wooden porches that run right round the house are ideal for exercising small pet daleks.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

How do those policies work?

Graham

Reply to
Graham Wilson

Fortunately, we are unlikely to get to this position under English law.

In America, millions of dollars in damages may be recoverable for a minor or trival claim. However, the British judiciary, based on what are known as "policy considerations" will usually only award much smaller amounts.

"Policy considerations" are the principles by which the courts set case law.

The logic behind "policy considerations" is that at the end of the day, the vast majority of claims are paid for by insurers, rather than the individual in question.

If the courts were to award substantial damages then insurance premiums would rise even more than they have already.

Most people are personally not rich. Thus, under the American system, you end up in a situation where if you are injured and the defendant has the benefit of insurance then you receive mega bucks. If the defendant cannot afford insurance, then you may receive nothing at all if they are not worth suing.

The "policy considerations" suggest - on the basis that most people can afford insurance - that most will get something, rather than a small few getting mega bucks and the vast majority getting nothing.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Wilson