Maximum weight on shelves fixed to plasterboard wall

Stores run by people slightly less insane than those at Amazon are available.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It's odd. I made littlw holes with a drill to test. There's plasterboard, then behind it there is a gap, and only at about 40mm is there anything (which seems to be brick and mortar).

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

D.M. Procida ( snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk) wibbled on Sunday 23 January 2011 20:12:

> > erboard+Fixing+75+x+80mm/d90/sd3165/p34047

There's a solution to that if you need to pull something tight to the wall.

Mark the fixing holes and drill them through the PB only.

Using a throwaway PU foam can, fill the void with foam behind each hole in all directions.

When set, drill again, into brick, rawlplug the brick and fix. The foam over about a 5+cm radius will provide a lot of support to the PB.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Very clever.

I've found a way to move things around - I can have the bottom of the shelf resting on the skirtingboard, so that will make the fastenings all a bit less critical.

The fastenings' main (and easier) job will be to keep the shelves tight to the wall, and not hold up all their weight too.

I think I will try to avoid having to go into the brick, and I'll use the kind of bolt that expands outwards behind the plasterboard as it is tightened. Here in South Wales houses of this age all use a filthy kind of black mortar, which I inevitable drill into, if I don't just hit the edge of a brick to make the hole go sideways.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

,
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, it isn't.

Glue is best.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In which case, it might be easier to move the socket...

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos