Max Length of Kitchen waste pipe ?

Hullo I will be running 40mm pipe from a new kitchen location it will have a sink and washing machine ..... 1) Is there a maximum length I should be running this pipe ? it is going to be around 10 metres. 2)I am unable to make it slope down the whole way, what can be done ?
Cheeers dd
Dave D wrote:

I'm no expert but 10m of such a small bore pipe is far too long. Kitchen waste carries a lot of greasy gunge wich will cool and solidify in a long run. Slope or fall on a drain pipe is essential. I feel you must find a route with adequate fall and for larger pipe. As for a solution, only you can know the range of possibilities offered by your property. You may have to run to a nearby outside wall in 40mm, into a gully/trap and then 110mm underground to the main drain system. make sure you have enough access/rodding points etc for future cleaning.
Sorry if this is not what you might want to hear!
Bob
--
To Reply directly to my mailbox, change myisp to ntlworld

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 13:38:49 +0000, Bob Minchin wrote:

I'd agree. Our current kitchen waste (plus W/Mc) is about 10m long, has a section with naff all if not negative fall and is starting to get very slow... I cleared it out about 3 years ago, I'm not looking forward to doing it again. Kitchen drains get *really* *seriously* foul with anderobic decompostion.

Not to mention the filler from washing powders from the washing machine. Great lumps of white crumbly stuff from the last clean out, along with the evil black slime.

Listen to this man. I'll be changing ours to 50mm and ensuring that it has a proper fall all the time. This might not be easy due to the route and crossing doorways but it's going to happen. Indeed I might do this work in preference to clearing it out again...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

If you have a good wet 'n dry vacuum cleaner you can put it on blow and maybe push the gubbins out that way.
Only you might need to be a bit careful that this doesn't pressurise the stack - you wouldn't want waste being returned to the loo, or worse still filling up the bath! ;)
PoP
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 06:45:15 +0000, PoP wrote:

I doubt it, the stuff is really sticky and gungey and 10M is a very long pipe.
The other thing when dealing with this sort of situation is not to let any bits bigger than a pea get flushed down the waste as sure as eges is eggs it block the final tiny hole left in all the grunge half way down the longest run and then instead of a slow drain you have no drain... BTDTGTTS
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice wrote:

This is a case for a half a canister of solid caustic soda and a kettle of boiling water chaps! Kills 100% of known germs, and thats just teh beginning...

'Buy cheap, buy twice'.
Yup. Its always quicker to do it the longer way...
Some time ago, I discovered how easy it is to e.g. chip into plaster, lay ccables, cover with plaster/filler, sand smooth and repaint.
What is the POINT of surface mounting wires....?
Plumbing MUST be done to spec. Otherwise it simply DOES NOT WORK.
Even if this involves chipping up concrete floors, and punching through brick walls.
Accept it, plan it, get on with it, and sort it out properly. And redecorate afterwards.

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:09:18 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

See my other recent post, if it can be garanteed to disolve/emulsify the grunge then OK but if it weakens it an lumps break off, bad news time...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
los_dos snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Dave D) wrote in

Just my story but - my kitchen waste pipe runs around the inside of the kitchen, through the internal kitchen wall, and joins onto the waste pipe for the bath (inside the property, under the bath). It has a "slope" of about 2mm. Needless to say it's partially blocked and the stench in the bathroom on a morning requires a strong stomach. It's a Council property so what can you expect. I was foolish enough to ask for it unblocking - Council sent two men, one with a cloth to block the overflow and a second with a plunger. Sigh.
john
I a>

Find another way, you are asking for trouble using long runs, small bore pipe and no fall !!!!!! Don't do it is my recommendation, along with a million others i suspect, there must be another way.
"take away nojunk" wrote

How about a Saniflo? :o)