Materials for making a long-lasting, walkable-on long-lasting flat roof?

I'm planning an extension to my house, and want to make flat roof that will last a long time, is maintenance-free and tough enough for people to walk around on, and is fairly light in colour on the surface.

Can anyone recommend cost-effective materials? I'd something rigid rather than joists and plywood with a waterproof covering, which, in my experience tends to have limited durability.

Many thanks..

greeterpeen

Concrete roof slab and paving stones set in pitch is the commercial solution.

Reply to
harry

So a concrete of some sort roof? Sounds a bit overkill for the average house extension?

I have a roof terrace where originally there was a pitched roof. Joists with decent ply over, than ashfelt. GRP concrete tiles (commonly called promenade tiles) on top. Has lasted well. Be overkill for only maintenance access, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have a southwards facing laid bitumen roof on the extension with a small bit of a slope. When the sun is in full effect, it's melting and slowly drifting over the edge, and even things like discarded grass from birds nest manages to imprint itself. I daren't walk on it. It's painted with aluminium heat reflective paint, but I'm not hopeful this is a long term solution for water tightness.

I'd go fibreglass.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

that's unusual.

One way to get longevity is to give the roof just a slight slope and use overlapping asbestos boards (or equivalent), then felt or tile it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr