Materials for decking

That doesn't make it untrue.

Marketing is mostly about telling the truth in an inventive way.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Or velodromes

stuart noble

>> These things are brilliant, no pilot, no splitting, very strong fix - go

That's brilliant: many thanks!

So, basically, posts in, frame round them in 6x2 fixed using coach screws, joists across the frame in 6x2 fixed using coach screws through the frame into the ends of the joists, boards down and fixed using decking screws, open beer...

That's OK then 'cos I'm a slow DIYer. ;o)

Reply to
Tinkerer

Management has 'been thinking' (you may have heard the phrase?) that 2M square might do it. Would I still need 6x2 joists, or would 4x2 be adequate?

Apologies for having to come back!

4 x 2 will span 2 metres no problem.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Open beer being important bit :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks.

Od BCO rule of thumb for floor joists (which was very close to the span tables) was floor joists will span [feet] half the depth [inches] -1. Decks are slightly less critical as there's no plaster ceiling to crack and you're unlike to load them with bookcases and the like.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Can't work that one out Tony.

If I've understood, a 6x2 for example. Depth 6", half that = 3", -1 = 2 feet.

According to Table A a 6 x 2 will span 3.06m at 400mm centres?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sorry having a senior moment! 2 x (D-1) - so 6x2 spans 10 ft.

To get the size you halve the span and add 1.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Ah - thats better. handy little rule of thumb - ta.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman