Material for Soldering Iron Tip

My venerable Henley Solon soldering iron is gradually running out of tip. It is a plain rod approx 4.7mm x 40mm, with a simple chisel-tipped work end. The end of this slots into the heated element of the iron, and is secured with a tiny split pin.

I could easily fabricate one if I could get the material - I'm assuming it's some kind of annealed copper or brass.

Have googled & ebayed for an hour, but vendors all seem to describe the diameter of the hot, pointy end (rather than the bit that slots into the heating element).

Any ideas or links welcome - Thanks!

Reply to
Steve Walker

I had a lucky hit on a discussion which said that earlier ones were solid copper, later ones being plated. So copper would seem to be the thing.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You want copper for heat transfer.... Only trouble is that a 'copper-only' soldering iron 'bit' will erode over time - which is why they plate them. (

Soldering iron bits always seem very expensive for what they are - the bits for my stained-glass ceramic-element iron come in at an eye-watering $24 each - but they do last about a year (which is a fair amount of soldering) and they are in contact with some fairly corrosive fluxes...

For occasional use, I'd think you'll be fine with a suitably-sized piece of copper rod - and you can always file it flat again when it erodes

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Thanks, yes that's what happens now - the tip hollows out like a crater and I file it flat periodically.

Now for a bonus point, can you let me have a few inches of 4.7mm copper rod?

Reply to
Steve Walker

Sadly not ! (If I had some then you'd be welcome)

The nearest thing I've got is brass rod that I use for some of my stained glass work - but that wouldn't do you...

It'll be one of those 'rod costs tuppence, min order £5, plus postage' deals - maybe get a decent price on ebay or somewhere similar ?

Sorry Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Yep - dad still has one, which I learned to solder with. That's a solid copper rod, horribly corroded now. I think he replaced the bit once when I was about 8 or 9 and had started using it.

If you are soldering much, I would strongly suggest buying a temperature controlled iron which takes iron-plated copper bits. I bought a Weller TCP-1 at university, and I've been using it for 30 years now. You have to replace bits more often as the plating wears off, but it's so much nicer to use.

One thing about having learned on the old Solon is that I can create very neat soldered joints with anything - screw driver on the gas stove, etc - and this does come in handy from time to time.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

My Solons have a variety of items used for bits, ranging from Solon copper bits to pieces of brass salvaged from whatever. I once tried out an iron that used a steel nail as a bit, and even that worked ok. You dont need to get too precious about it. I'd talk to a scrappie, see if they've got something in brass or copper.

NT

Reply to
NT

Steve Walker

Told you so ! When I started with the 3mm brass rod I bought some on ebay - intended for model-makers, I think - came very nicely packaged and quite highly priced..

Had a flash of inspiration one day and discovered that the local car spares place sells 3mm brazing rod for next to nothing - simples!

As others have said - temperature-controlled is the way to go if you're doing lots of electronic work - does make the job much simpler..

Some of the earlier Weller temp-controller irons use a magent which is part of the 'tip' to do the temperature control - so the bits are more expensive...

All depends on how often you expect to be using it

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

> Eeek!

Steve Walker

>>> Eeek!

Yes - I think they're the guys I used. Same stuff (afaik) at the local car spares place is about ?1/metre

- and no postage

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

In message , Steve Walker writes

When these are less than £32 +, why not just buy a new one tips are only a couple of quid each

Reply to
geoff

Many years ago I made a new Solon tip out of a bit of 3/16" brazing rod. Not quite as good as copper, but it did the job.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

A piece of thickish copper wire (e.g. co-ax inner conductor) filed to a point and wrapped around a normal bit makes a good stand in for soldering fine pitch (sub mm) surface mount components when a proper small bit is not available.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

In message , geoff writes

Silly me - forgot the link, duh

geoff

What I have used in the past is 3/16 of an inch copper rivets (4.8 mm) I'm not quite sure where to look for them these days though. Model engineering shop?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Yup. Have 25 watt and 65 watt Solons dating from the 1950s. Both used for electrical/radio work. Both are 230 volt and here in N.America have run them from a transformer and now have 230 volt outlets on the bench. Both are also earthed/grounded. The 25 watter has been refitted a couple of times with home made copper tips made from a short pieces of approx 6AWG (American wire gauge), APPROX 4 MM DIAMETER wire. That tip is held in with a small wire split pin. The 65 watter sort of spade tip doesn't need a replacement yet but it looks to be about 8 to 10 mm diam. that tip is held in with a small set screw. Considering the age but limited home experimenter use am well pleased with the Solon products. And do not foresee an problems fabricating copper replacements as long as the heating elements hold out. Have never rewound one of them; yet! Also have one of those soldering guns, and have fabricated tips for that on several occasions using bits of copper wire. Especially when a couple of hundred miles away from HQ! So have a go; make up a couple of tips; probably well worth the ten to fifteen minutes; once have found suitable material!

Reply to
terry

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Steve Walker" saying something like:

>>> Eeek!

That's RS for you - but by crackey they know how to charge.

for dirt cheap.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I've seen the pin from a 15A round pin plug used too.

NT

Reply to
NT

But you really do need copper (~4 times the thermal conductivity of

70/30 brass).

From recent experience I can thoroughly recommend

for small quantity metals. Their catalogue lists 3/16 in. round copper bar at £3.36 per ft. (ex-VAT). If you only want one length they will, IME, reduce the £4 standard minimum postage charge if you phone up and ask nicely.

Reply to
Andy Wade