Material for Loose Tennon - Numpty Joiner Here!

Hi all

I am replacing some stair case handrailing. One suggestion for fixing handrail to newel posts is to fit a tennon (similar to using a biscuit I suppose) into the newel post. Then slot the end of the handrail so that it slides down over said tennon - glue all together when satisfied. My question is - should the tennon be made from any particular type of wood? What direction of grain for the tennon part?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Personally I'd use a piece of ply, one with a lot of layers. I used strips of ply in joining boards for a wooden worktop and this method worked fine.

mark

Reply to
mark