Material for kitchen sliding doors

Hi all,

I am going to have a wall of kitchen cupboards built and have 2.2m floor to ceiling sliding doors with recessed handles on the front. What material sh ould I have the panels made from? MDF seems heavy and not durable. Ply is s trong but probably too flexible at a reasonable weight for a 2.2m by 400mm panel. Any other materials I could consider?

Thanks

Clive

Reply to
clive.r.long

Presumably these are framed panels? If so, the sheet material will only be ,say, 300mm wide so flexibility shouldn't be an issue. Melamine faced hardboard would give you a wipe down, durable finish, or veneered mdf for a wood finish. If the frames are to be wooden, you will probably have trouble sourcing sufficiently stable material. At 2.2m long you can't afford any movement. The likes of Ikea can pretty much guarantee that but, whatever you buy from a timber merchant won't be dry enough.

Reply to
stuart noble

I should have said. It sounds like a difficult thing to do well. The space is 2.2m+ high, and how wide? just 800-900 mm ish? for two doors?

Reply to
TimW

How about going to IKEA? I got some pine doors that size a few years ago.

Reply to
charles