mastic or mortar on window frames?

Page 2 of 2
Dave Plowman wrote:

It's definitely putty. The builders who did the barn up didn't know what they were doing. They also ran out of money half way through. Since moving in, I've effectively re-renovated the house. The most serious problem was an inadequate damp proof tanking but - argh - don't get me started.
THanks for all the advice. I'm going to have to assess whether the gaps in each of the frames is too large to take mastic. If it is, I'll try and follow the advice of one of teh posters above - mortar in some greased pieces of plywood and then mastic in the gap left behind when they're removed.

I'd love to see what you'd get if you asked for mastic in a BMs. It's rather a broad term.
The normal stuff to seal a non structural gap and waterproof it between differing materials is silicone for outdoor use. You can get it in several colours and clear.
--
*Certain frogs can be frozen solid, then thawed, and survive *

Maybe avoid the grease, it might compromise the mastic/silicone seal applied after. A bit of thin plastic or cling film pushed in by the ply or wrapped around it might serve you better.
Not relevant for the course you've chosen, but a lot of sash and case windows of old were sealed with mastic mortar; it has sand in so is sort of mortar like, but has some sticky mastic content. Not stunning, and best left in the 19th century, your soln sounds better. I take it you've seen the proprietary 'frame sealants' in B&Q etc, not quite the feel of silicone (more resilient), but maybe have that as a base (or acrylic?).
--
fred

That 'putty' is probably the old non setting mastic that used to skin over and leave a flexible sticky core (green-white colour).
Rake out all the mastic, mortar etc. and spray the frames and the walls (in the gap betwixt frame and masonry with water. Fill the gap with expanding foam and leave it for a few hours. Cut off the bits sticking out flush with the front of the frame, point up with a fillet of waterproofed mortar (colour to suit existing) so that you just cover the edge of the wooden frame. When the mortar is dry apply a bead of polysulfide mastic between your new fillet and the woodwork.
Can someone tell me how I make any money out of this? If I tell everyone how to do it themselves will they ever ask me to do anything for them?
Serious question.
--
mark