Master/Slave mains sockets

I have noticed that a number of the better vacuum cleaners have a mains outlet that somehow cause the vacuum cleaner to operate when the load is switched on.

Looking for a standalone unit which does this I found the following at Argos

is a bit overkill and also a bit too shiny for use in the shed.

Does anyone know of a two socket master/slave version?

I was pondering trying to incorporate a foot operated NVR switch into a twin socket version.

TIA

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Vacuum cleaners with a mains outlet ...? Can you explain that please ?

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

which is a bit overkill and also a bit too shiny for use in the shed.

I've seen trailing sockets where one is the sensor and the rest switched. Maplin - or probably Ebay. Not expensive. Think I've seen them in Lidl too.

If you're building something you might be able to take the guts out of one of those and fit to a metal clad twin socket along with the connections to your foot switch.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Normally "workshop" type vacuums, they have power socket into which you plug a power tool. When you fire up the power tool the vacuum automatically starts, switch off and the vac runs on for a few seconds then switches off as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Reply to
Adrian C

In message , Richard wrote

search google for intelliplug

Reply to
Alan

Just plug an adapter into it. So long as the current flows through the sensor current, and so long as you watch the total load (which can exceed the total permitted, so long as you don't switch both on together) then it's easy.

Alternatively use a remote control switch, such as a cheap radio switch. Remote control is nearly as much use as automatic.

If you build your own, start with a current transformer. The rest is easy.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

> which is a bit overkill and also a bit too shiny for use in the shed. >

Huge

Aah!!! That sort of vacuum cleaner .... :-)

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

That was as far as my thoughts had reached!

And thanks to all other respondents. So much in life seems to be about accurately describing what you are searching for.

I might 'enhance' the cheapest off-the-shelf item - perhaps the Intelliplug.

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
Richard