Masonry screws

Just trying to decide which fixings to use on the straps which hold the wall plate down onto the wall.

I found some nice zinc plated self tappers which looked about the right size, then started looking for more e.g. on Screwfix.

There I spotted 'masonry screws'.

e.g.

I then read a 'howto' at

far as I can see they act just like wood screws in plastic plugs i.e. you drill a hole, insert a plastic plug, then wind in the screw to expand the plastic plug.

So what makes them specifically 'masonry screws'? Is it just the hex head to make them easier to drive in? Or am I missing something? Why are they better than woodscrews or self tappers?

When I first saw them I had the wild hope that they might screw into masonry like a wood screw went into wood - no Plasplugs.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Just found

allegedly screw straight into concrete.

I'm still not sure how they will handle dense concrete blocks (although presumably the structure is similar to concrete made from ballast).

Has anyone used these to screw into dense concrete blocks?

TIA

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

found

which allegedly screw straight into concrete.

Haven't used that particular one, but have used multimonti:

star fix:

(or rather I used a very similar Spax product, which Screwfix have dropped)

Have used both in a variety of masonry and concrete - works very well.

Personally, I wouldn't waste time with plugs anymore.

Reply to
dom

Thanks - off shopping :-)

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I usually just put 2 or 3 inch clout nails into the mortar beds...screws rarely hold well in newly laid concrete blocks, unless you use the self-tapping type, which cut their own thread.

Reply to
Phil L

If it's only holding the wooden wall plate down, it sounds fine. There's no pull load, and at worst some lateral load. Even if these lost their grip, they still peg the plate to the top of the wall.

I wouldn't use them for joist hangers though!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thats my experience. Think it was you who put me on the multi monti in the first place.

Me neither. BTW Toolstation do them in packs of 10 for those only wanting a few they are called 'Thunderbolts' on the package.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman