Masonry paint on bedroom ceiling?

I have a quantity of spare masonry paint that I won't otherwise use. It's Homebase's own brand, pure white matt. It appears identical in consistency and covering power as ordinary emulsion. Can I use up this paint on the ceiling in the bedroom? The ceiling is currently painted with a ripple effect.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Yup - I've used white masonry paint all over the place with no problems.

Reply to
Grunff

Interesting that the tin of Dulux Weathershield I was looking at says it must not be used indoors. I suspect this is because it has fungicide and other nasty stuff in it, rather than whether or not it would "work".

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver

That is intersting - I've not seen such a warning on any of the stuff I've had (various store own brands). Maybe just a Weathershield thing?

Reply to
Grunff

Probably, I suspect the fungicide used is not approved for indoor use and Dulux are just covering their behinds.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Blaver

I read somewhere that this a bad idea because masonry paint has fungicide in it to kill mould. The Homebase stuff might be different, though.

Max Christian

No mention of fungicide or anything else on my tin from Homebase! Anyway, it's too late now. It's on and already dried. It doesn't half cover well! One coat over a mid-blue, and it doesn't look like it needs a second coat. However, I'll check with Homebase tomorrow and, if necessary, give it a second coat anyway with ordinary emulsion, as it's only a small ceiling that took about half an hour with the roller. (I didn't use the Bentley this time...)

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Wouldn't that be an advantage in some properties? ............ :-)

Reply to
BillR

Shame they don't warn you that the Weathershield primer is useless at preventing rot. I replaced some rotten wood on my garage in 1996 with brand new timber, taking care to cut back to decent timber and used the complete weathershield 'system' including on cut ends. 5 years later the new wood was showing the ominous shrinkage and now there is a big rotten hole again. The solvent-based undercoat and gloss seems to work fine but the next bit of timber will be soaked in cuprinol for a week first.

Reply to
Andrew