Masonry heater on a small scale

Looking at future developments to the frontage of our property, we thought a cosy area with a wood burning stove would be nice, which led me to discover the "masonry heater"

Has anyone actually made or even seen one of these in the UK? and has anyone come across any plans for one.

I appreciate they work by heating a significant thermal mass rapidly, which sort of make a "small scale" one a bit pointless, but if anyone has any thoughts on the mater or useful sites I would be most grateful.

Just found the following one earlier for those that are interested.

PeTe33

Yup, I have got one in my front room.... it's called a chimney stack!

Reply to
John Rumm

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Pet @

;¬)" saying something like:

The pics of the Russian-style ones I've seen have a relatively small fire and a wending flue inside a large brick or stone thermal wall. Once they're up to temp they hold the heat for days, dispensing it to the rooms both sides of the wall and upstairs, and only need a sustaining small fire.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

|Looking at future developments to the frontage of our property, we |thought a cosy area with a wood burning stove would be nice, which led |me to discover the "masonry heater" | |Has anyone actually made or even seen one of these in the UK? and has |anyone come across any plans for one. | | I appreciate they work by heating a significant thermal mass rapidly, |which sort of make a "small scale" one a bit pointless, but if anyone |has any thoughts on the mater or useful sites I would be most grateful. | |Just found the following one earlier for those that are interested. |

are meant for *American* houses made mainly of wood, which have a low thermal mass. UK houses store massive amounts of heat in the masonry internal walls and the inner skin of the *insulated* external walls. The walls only get to about the average temperature of the house, but they store a *lot* of heat. My well insulated and draught proofed house only falls about 4 deg C on the coldest nights.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

But the high burn efficiency of a fast and furious fire makes for a more eco friendly wood burning solution which was more the benefit I was looking at.

Reply to
PeTe33