Masonite??? Is it just hardboard?

I'm planning to build a skateboard ramp this spring for my son, and there are plenty of free plans on the web from the USA. They all talk about using Masonite as a final layer. I know this is a trade name, but is it a generic term for hardboard in the USA or is it something else?
On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 10:55:21 +0000 (UTC), Danny Monaghan

It is basically hardboard, but generally a fairly dense one.
Presumably the idea here is to produce a smooth surface, but be able to replace it. I've seen workbench plans using this idea.
Do they talk about where it can be used? Hardboard is obviously not going to stand up to rain for any time.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

using
generic
There is a grade called oil-tempered hardboard which is denser, harder and much more resistant. Not sure just how good it is out of doors. You can get it at large builders merchants

All the plans I've seen are outdoor ramps because some are massive, but as it's mainly US, the weather isn't such an issue. I'd planned to just cover it with a tarp. I agree that hardboard isn't going to last.
The construction they talk about is the surface generally being two layers of ply (so it can be curved), then Masonite as the finish layer.
On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 10:55:21 +0000 (UTC), Danny Monaghan

It's a brand name for it - you sometimes see it in the UK too.
Use oil-tempered hardboard if it's going outdoors, and talk to the supplier about which grade is best.
If you're cladding the sides and want something really weatherproof, then foamed UPVC board can be good, especially if you can scrounge it (won't make the decking though). It's used for outdoor signage with knife-cut vinyl letters stuck onto it. If you can find something like a festival or one-off event, there's often a lot of this stuff going begging at the end and it's good scrap. -- Smert' spamionam