Masonary drill bits

I recently purchased a set of Irwin masonry drill bits from Screwfix. I have drilled 3 holes, starting with a small diameter and then increasing the size in steps. I now have 3 drill bits that are unserviceable totally shot. My problem is my walls are of a concrete construction with lots of small stones. Can anyone advise on suitable drill bits that may last, I am using a standard hammer action drill.

thanks in advance

Reply to
R.D

Masonry drill bits don't last all that long but you seem to have got a bad batch. Is there any iron reinforcement in the concrete? I'm not sure Irwin is a good name but can't recall why or where I came across them.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

If it's Masonary ones you want why dont you try the local lodge? :-)

Reply to
Scabbydug

Then don't buy Irwin.

1) They're not much good 2) They're evil yankees who bought Record in Sheffield just to close down their competition.

Assuming you already have an SDS drill, then get some decent bits or it. Your local hire shop probably sells better ones. Mine are Heller (german) and Joran (Danish)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The message from Andy Dingley contains these words:

I guess he doesn't as he says he's using "standard hammer action drill"

Me, I'd go to Netto and get one of their £20 cheapie SDS drills. The bits that come with them are far more sturdy.

Reply to
Guy King

If its dense concrete a standard hammer action drill won't hack it - the bits will just burn out. Not necessarily the fault of the bits.

You really need an SDS or pnumatic hammer drill for the job. Hire or well worth buying an el cheapo.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Take your time and get a decent second hand one. The Bosch lauded here is excellent.

Look out for control choices such as hammer only, reverse and no hammer. Mine only cost me =A370 second hand and has lasted years.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Where does one find these second hand jobbies?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Anywhere stolen goods are fenced.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The Medway Handyman wrote: [=2E..]

I got a refurbished one (seems as new) from eBay for around that. Can't remember the name of the company - somewhere in Scotland.

Jon N

Reply to
jkn

Ebay. Do a search and save that page. Then easy to check every week or so.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)