Martindale (Ring Main) tester

This tester (Martindale) and other similar testers are described as 'Ring Main' testers. They're supposed to provide a basic safety test on a ring yet mine also appears to work on the 13 amp socket on my cooker unit which isn't on a ring.

Two questions:

  1. Is the tester showing a correct result for the 13 amp socket on the cooker radial circuit or is it giving a spurious result?

  1. If it's giving a correct result for the socket on the cooker radial circuit could it also be used safely and reliably on a lighting circuit by installing a *temporary* socket in a lighting circuit?

Cicero

Reply to
Cicero

If you are talking about one of these

it really just checks the Live is in the corret place, it cant tell if the Neutral and earth is reversed.

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

Toby coughed up some electrons that declared:

Indirect reply to the OP:

Ring or radial: it doesn't make any difference to those testers.

There's a fancy Martindale that does claim to guage L-E impedance. But it's only an indicator (4 or 5 LEDs IIRC, so a very coarse reading). As Toby says, there isn't a tester on Earth in that format that can tell N-E reversal.

It would have to be said though, that those test plugs are really only good for basic polarity checks (N-E reversal case noted). For actually proving a circuit you really need a proper tester unfortunately. To get any idea if the earth (CPC) is any good, you need to measure it's potential to actually carry a sensible amount of current, rather than the tiny test current socket testers employ.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Cicero has brought this to us :

They are a very rough and ready test of the polarity of a socket, rather than a ring main. They would not be able to distinguish between correctly connected N & E and these two crossed over.

Even allowing for the above, they only test there is an earth of some sort, not the quality or safety of that earth.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

They do a rather more sophisticated one that does a rudimentary earth impedance test. Not cheap, though.

Dave Plowman (News)

I was aware that this tester won't detect a Neutral / Earth reversal because that is printed on the face of the actual tester. In view of the limited capabilities I don't think I'll be spending £42 on the advanced version, despite the claims made for it.

I'm a bit surprised that TLC describe it as a 'Ring main tester' when it appears to offer no actual test that a circuit is in fact a ring.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I'd say it's because to most 13 amp means ring. And you'd need a *very* sophisticated tester to detect there was a break on a functioning ring.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

========================================= That seems a reasonable and common sense explanation.

There is a testing method (I think) described in 16th Edition Wiring regulations - Explained and illustrated- Brian Scaddan. I'll need to read it again to be sure, when I've got time.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Cicero used his keyboard to write :

That is a matter of disconnecting the two wires at the MCB and measuring the resistance between each pair (L to L, N to N and E to E). Obviously infinity means there is a break in the ring.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield