Marking wood. Face side & face edge

When I was at school in the mid '60s, the woodwork teacher taught us to mark the face side of a rectangular piece of wood with a loop in pencil, and extend the tail of the loop down the face edge with an inverted V

Is this all terribly quaint, or do people actually still do this in practice?

Reply to
Graham.

That's the same way as I was taught and it continues to work just fine for me.

If it ain't broke. . . . .

Reply to
1501

I do, but I don't see much evidence of others doing the same :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

It was the same for me when I did O-level woodwork in the mid-to- late-70s, and I still do it, both for 'joinery' and for slightly more fancy work. I don't see many people doing it, but then I don't see many people doing this kind of work either, apart from myself.

J^n

Reply to
jkn

I mark wood where its important. Mostly it isn't.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I re-trained in traditional wooden boatbuilding at IBTC in the last few years - and found it's still used/taught there.

Reply to
dom

It depends on how accurate you need to be. The same can done in metal work and you measure from the marked faces. This reduces errors, most off the time.

Reply to
dennis

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Face and face edge markings are 'important', as all squaring and marking out is done from those faces - and very necessary if the stock you are using is not accurately machined (a normal state these days).

Cash

Reply to
Cash