Marking boundary in Tarmac.

My new neighbour, with whom we have cultivated good relations by lending him tools etc. etc. has renewed his side of the ?joint? tarmac drive. The boundary was marked by the remains of the lone gone fence. Which is now covered by tarmac to a few of inches on my side, which is a great improvement so I am not complaining, but I have apparently lost a few inches of land. I had previously marked the boundary at both ends by chisel marks in concrete, so a bit of string will tell me where it is.

Has any one any good ideas as to how I could re-mark the boundary? I was thinking of whacking thin line with a bolster.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

A line of kerb-stones?

Reply to
Bob Martin

============================ Buy a can of marker paint, either spray or brush. The brushed type can be applied to a damp surface if necessary and you can use masking tape to outline. Most builders' merchants will stock one or both.

I would suggest that you consider re-instating a fence in the long term since you appear to have a neighbour who could become too demanding.

Cic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 1291 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Cicero

If all you want is to be able to identify the line, how about a few clout head nails? Easily visible if you need to find them, without being over obvious.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

If it's straight line, starting from an identifiable point on/between the two houses, then all you need is a single masonry nail at the point where the dividing line meets your joint front boundary line.

It can be safely hammered right in, and doesn't even need to be visible, so long as there's a written record that the nail exists, and of the point it is intended to mark. Then anyone with a nail/pipe/wire finder can go straight to it.

But do have your neighbour right there when you do it, so he can agree exactly where the nail should go. Without becoming overly legalistic, if an independent third party happened to be standing around at the same time, then better still.

Reply to
Ian White

I'd cut the tarmac back with a diamond disc now and put a small curb or edging in it, or in 5 or 10 years time your current neighbour might not be you neighbour and a dispute could ensue, whether you are in the right or wrong it could end up costing you! get it done now and let your neighbour know you are doing it incase he moves at some point and he might not get arsy about it.

Reply to
Staffbull

In article , Dave Fawthrop writes

I've heard it suggested here to mark a boundary with steel rod (16mm?) whacked deep into the ground with a little (50mm?) left poking up as a visible indication. Whacking the rod in deep (600mm?) means nobody can move them in a hurry so the boundary is safe.

For yours, how about 16mm x 400mm stainless rod whacked in flush every

300-600mm along the line. Ok, stainless rod is expensive so how about some long stainless coach bolts instead, 6-9quid for 10 at screwfix and the domed looks the biz.
(M10x130) or
(M8x150) Maybe resined in too to stop them moving, either accidentally or on purpose.
Reply to
fred

Could you not get your half tarmac'd as well..?

On this particular point I have often wondered exactly how boundaries are marked.

What I mean is if this is a drive between two houses ,somewhere ..Land Registry perhaps ?...there must be a drawing to show exactly where the land of one neighbour ends and the land of the next door neighbour begins . How is this delineated (sp) .Do they show a distance from one house to the boundary .

What would happen if ,for example,the house was destroyed in an explosion and had to be pulled down .What would they use as a marker then ?

Stuart .

Reply to
Stuart

|On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 09:20:05 +0100, Dave Fawthrop | wrote: | |>My new neighbour, with whom we have cultivated good relations by lending |>him tools etc. etc. has renewed his side of the ?joint? tarmac drive. |>The boundary was marked by the remains of the lone gone fence. Which is |>now covered by tarmac to a few of inches on my side, which is a great |>improvement so I am not complaining, but I have apparently lost a few |>inches of land. I had previously marked the boundary at both ends by |>chisel marks in concrete, so a bit of string will tell me where it is. |>

|>Has any one any good ideas as to how I could re-mark the boundary? |>I was thinking of whacking thin line with a bolster. | | |Could you not get your half tarmac'd as well..? | | |On this particular point I have often wondered exactly how boundaries are |marked. | |What I mean is if this is a drive between two houses ,somewhere ..Land Registry |perhaps ?...there must be a drawing to show exactly where the land of one |neighbour ends and the land of the next door neighbour begins . How is this |delineated (sp) .Do they show a distance from one house to the boundary . | |What would happen if ,for example,the house was destroyed in an explosion and |had to be pulled down .What would they use as a marker then ?

I looked at the plans and they are not accurate enough to be useful.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

The message from Dave Fawthrop contains these words:

I can almost hear the lawyers rubbing they hands togther with glee. Boundary disputes can be a big money winner for them not least because there are not sufficently accurate measurements to be had and once the original boundary markers go not a hope in hell of fixing boundaries to the nearest inch, or even in most cases the nearest foot.

Leaving aside the inherent lack of precision in subdividing a field into building plots it is impossible to scale off even as large a scale as

1:1250 to the required accuracy when the thickness of a line may amount to a couple of feet.
Reply to
Roger

|The message |from Dave Fawthrop contains these words: | |> I looked at the plans and they are not accurate enough to be useful. | |I can almost hear the lawyers rubbing they hands togther with glee. |Boundary disputes can be a big money winner for them not least because |there are not sufficently accurate measurements to be had and once the |original boundary markers go not a hope in hell of fixing boundaries to |the nearest inch, or even in most cases the nearest foot. | |Leaving aside the inherent lack of precision in subdividing a field into |building plots it is impossible to scale off even as large a scale as |1:1250 to the required accuracy when the thickness of a line may amount |to a couple of feet.

Agreed which is why I intend to replace the markers when I can say "you can remember what they were like.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I am still no wiser as to how the boundaries are noted "legally" .Chisel marks in concrete doesn't sound very legal to me ..lol

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

The message from "Staffbull" contains these words:

And /why/ you're doing it. If you explain that though you trust him you'd rather mark it out for any future neighbours it'll sound much nicer.

Both my neighbours have had a slice of either side of my garden over the years (before we moved in) and both have agreed that when we next redo the fence we'll sort it out. Trouble is, one side unintentionally followed the line of the old fence when it was replaced a couple of years ago (we were both out and left his brother in law to get on with it) and isn't likely to need replacing for another twenty years or so. Still - he's moving to France soon and has said he doesn't mind if I take 18" off the top as it turned out rather higher than we both planned too.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Roger contains these words:

We're lucky - ours is a terrace, so the midpoint of the dividing wall extended to the midpoint of the back of the garage would be simple.

Reply to
Guy King

They arent, its as simple as that. Deeds have property outlines but they are not intended to be accurate.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Apparently there's no obligation to mark a property boundary. If one is keeping animals that may wander and eat other peoples' fodder than it's advisable to have some type of enclosure (ditch, fence, hedge) and there may be covenants attached to the title deeds requiring a fence and/or wall be maintained ... but otherwise ... ? BTW; further to the ' ... they are not intended to be accurate ... ' ; my Deeds describe the boundaries as being ; - " $dimension_feet a little more a little less" , so there definitely 'not intended to be accurate'!

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Stuart typed

The detail on the Land Registry plans of my abode are vague, disappointingly vague...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

The message from Helen Deborah Vecht contains these words:

"The freehold land edged with red on the plan ..."?

Reply to
Roger

The message from Helen Deborah Vecht contains these words:

Gives you plenty of opportunity to declare anschluss.

Reply to
Guy King

Roger typed

That be the one, where the red bit is about half a millimetre wide and the scale not that great...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht