Marine Based Ply from Wickes

Hi, Just looking at getting some marine ply (I think thats what its called) to place over floorboards so I can tile. But just went to Wickes and asked the lad in there which one is waterproof as they dont say, unfortunately he couldnt help and at that point I decided to leave. But what do I look for when I do decide to go back apart from a staff member with an ounce of sense. Thanks Olly

Reply to
Oliver

Is WBP (Water & Boil Proof) the same as 'Marine', or at least good enough for your application? If so, the stuff I get from B&Q always has it stamped directly on so you can avoid having to embarass one of their students, or an old dear from the decorating department.

Reply to
Mathew J. Newton

You need WBP, not marine. Marine is many times as expensive (i.e. 80GBP+ rather than 20GBP) and has miniscule additional benefit for a flooring application over WBP.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

WBP isn't the same as marine, but it's the right stuff for the job.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Cheers for that next question what is the thinnest I can get away with? its only a small area but is going to have slate tiles on it.

Reply to
Oliver

That's only true if you are placing the ply flat onto an existing surface. If you are screwing the ply to battens or joists the use of marine ply really is night and day compared with WBP.

Reply to
Mike

I got to put down a Resin Shower Tray too. I have some 18mm MDF the right size - would this do - painted to make it water proof - or should I not be a cheap skate and get some WBP ply. Its just a pain that the small pieces B&Q have are only 600mm wide or they jump up to whooping big sheets (that I know I can have cut). I want 800mm square or there abouts.

Reply to
Moonshine

Why's that then?

Reply to
John Stumbles

square

No way Jose, most unsuitable. Use WBP ply.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

OK Thanks - I already chicken'd out and got some WBP :-)

More off-cuts to fill up the garage.

Reply to
Moonshine

Well you can always use the offcuts to make a shelf unit to store the offcuts.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

It just feels better - less bouncy for lack of a better term.

Reply to
Mike

Laid on to a suitable existing flat floor, 12mm minimum. Laid onto battens or joists with 400mm spacing, 18mm minimum.

There's no harm (and some benefit) in using thicker.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Hi,

Try asking the tile supplier, I'd have thought 9mm is the absolute minimum.

On a suspended floor going very thick could be counter productive as it may encourage the floor to flex at the edges of the ply and not across the board.

In any case, using the right tile cement for wooden floors and sealing the ply is very important, the adhesive manufacturer might be able to advise on sealing.

Also staggering the joints where possible and making sure they are over the middle of a floorboard, and making sure the tiles will be over the middle of the join should also help.

I'd have thought very well sealed moisture resistant chipboard is just as good as ply.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Reply to
Oliver

You don't need Marine Ply ....WBP grade ply, certainly not marine. If it is going on top of existing boards then a 12mm is enough, may get away with less ... but make sure you use a flexible adhesive & grout.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes