Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

Typical misinterpretation of the situation then. The union quest was to try and simply maintain the living standards of their members in a time of high inflation. You must be yet another who didn't work in industry at that time.

And you really think she'd have taken on her pals in the finance side? Her whole policy was based on letting them rip...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So why didn't you want to join?

So no different to being a barrister or whatever.

Often management itself.

And did you?

Most dislike paying taxes, but have to. Many would prefer having the benefits of union membership without paying for that too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You think only union members throw a sickie?

You don't even live on this planet.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You expect all union members to be perfect human beings? Of course feelings ran high. And the press, as ever, hype it up out of all recognition to give prats like you that warm self satisfied feeling.

Are you perfect, Dennis?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No we wouldn't. No UK government could have resisted the temptation to waste our gas supplies in the way it was done. They are all only interested in getting elected the next time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Think the actual term was uneconomic. Which of course depends on lots of things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Mark scribeth thus

Seeing that we only have a GW or so from France then thats not really a big issue the gas another matter, but I see today that the windy mills are producing all of .4 GW again...

And no ones done much since her time on that till recently ...

And we're supposed to be using less in the way of fossil fuels then;!?..

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Thats a downside of democracy Dave, happens everywhere look at the Wally thats been elected in France now...

Reply to
tony sayer

What she managed to get labour out of power and Cameron & co in power?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Yes that's true, whether or not managment exists, I'm not sure that matters.

Unles sit;'s like one of those in a forsts and nop one about type senerios.

ordinary worker, better in managment to take the time off working from home.

What makes you think he was at home ? If people take days off sick and aren;t sick what makes you think that when managment do the equivalent they are at home ? The incedent I'm refering to was when my magager told me about his trip to Dorset, forgetting he'd told me the week before that he was working from home on that day.

Reply to
whisky-dave

We would really notice the maximum 2 GW (when it works) we can get from France. Cutting the gas supply on the other hand...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Have you not heard of EDF?

--snip--

Reply to
Mark

s/would/would not/

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And it's that kind of bone-headed contractual detail (loss of holiday) that generates a bit of resentment and leads some people into taking sick days when they don't need to.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I suspect he's referring obliquely to the International Jewish Conspiracy or some such group of super-rich fiddling Mafia who have their fingers in every pie under the sun. Or similar fantasy bullshit, beloved by the wankers who really see a conspiracy everywhere.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I thought the employer had a duty to ensure that employees took their holidays?

Certainly I would feel very unhappy if holiday were taken away in that circumstance. Definitely engenders unhappiness.

Reply to
polygonum

Enough to know you are talking cr@p. You obviously never witnessed what happens but can still have strong feelings about what you want to believe.

Why do you think the unions opposed having secret ballots before they could call a strike? it didn't affect whether you can strike at all. You can go on strike now if you want to. All of the work place can go on strike if you want. You don't even need a ballot.

However you can't legally stop someone from going to work if they want to. the union can't call out others until a ballot has been held. That's about the only difference between strikes before and after maggie.

Oh and the fact you can't have 3000 thugs chucking bricks at you if you cross the thug line.

Reply to
dennis

We might still do so. the government has been trying to find out how much coal is left recently.

Maggie couldn't compromise with thugs like scargill, he had vowed to overthrow the government, ending years of democracy. he couldn't get the support to vote her out so he decide to be stupid and the miners fell for it.

Lets face it, if a minority group tried to overthrow any democratically elected British government then they should be put down. Its just like the terrorists now.

Don't let facts get in the way of people not being able to gain a popular vote.

I wonder what people will say when we run out of oil and the UK is still sitting on a big pile of coal?

Reply to
dennis

Where one country invades another and the invaded country takes no action (i.e., in effect, capitulates with no resistance).

The issue is that too many fatheads follow the "there won't be another war, because we won't turn up" mantra. They assume (in their typical naive lefty way) that this is the solution to conflict, thereby overlooking f'rinstance the Jews (who didn't turn up to be exterminated but oddly enough were anyway) and those Africans attacked by the Lords Resistance Army.

However, perhaps it makes a better argument to say that it takes only one side to *start* a war (as countless countries discovered during

1938-1941).
Reply to
Tim Streater

Be sensible, the gas was there in big gas fields that spanned international boundaries. if we hadn't used it someone else would have just had more. Its not as though we could tell the other countries that that bit of gas is ours when it comes out of a well in their area.

Reply to
dennis