Marble Hearth - Chips

22 years ago I layed a hearth made of marble plates about 22mm thick. The front edge is becoming a bit chipped, nothing real heavy just general weat & tear.

Has anyone got any ideas on smoothing the edges out. I don't mind if the front edge is a bit rounded. Can it be done by hand or do I have to rent a machine?

T I A - Chris.

x-- 100 Proof News -

30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
Chris McBrien

A diamond file? Actually, marble is soft enough that a steel file may work just fine.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Will a TC router bit cut marble??

I'd suggest not being the first to try it...

Ask a local gravestone merchant?

Reply to
PC Paul

I'd simply do a search for "marble sculpture" tools file in google, and see what turns up as being used.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Put some carborundum paper on your sander. It's the red stuff. Very durable but difficult to tell when worn out.

It will cut well initially but not show wear and tear when it no longer abrades the stone.

Carborundum is the grindstone used in cutting and polishing stones.

Other than that; diamond hones are getting quite cheap these days. Keep it wet and it will last a hell of a long time. You can buy them in sets of three. Coarse (fine as most whetstones go) medium and fine. They would suit your needs very well.)

Reply to
Michael Mcneil