MAPP oxy torches?

Mapp-oxy (correct spelling and capitalisation?) seems to be a good alternative to Oxyacetylene for DIY purposes (ie, heating up seized things), but I've not got a clue where to get it. Can I get it in self sealing cans and screw it onto a normal blowtorch head, or do I need a specially designed setup?

Reply to
Doki

Hi

I've got a Bernzomatic TS7000 torch with a MAPP cartridge on it. Cost is around =A355 from B&Q. It is superb - lights instantly first time every time and is ridiculously hot. Easily capable of driving residual moisture out of pipes whilst soldering.

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

Can you get steel glowing with it?

Reply to
Doki

Never tried... I'll give it a go tomorrow if you like.

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

Ta. That's what's really needed for a replacement to Oxy acetylene for undoing seized stuff on cars. Get it stinking hot quick sharp and near enough anything will undo.

Reply to
Doki

stevelup submitted this idea :

Around £30 or less on ebay +P&P.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Around 1750 to 1900 deg C.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It's a lousy alternative to oxy-acetylene (can't weld with it), but it's a tolerable substitute for oxy-propane that doesn't involve rental on an oxy cylinder. OTOH, burners are cheap (eBay!) and simply using a bigger propane-air burner often gets the job done. Personally I don't bother, but a gunsmithing friend swears by it.

Even cheaper, are a few firebricks:

MAPP is good, but best at small stuff, where you can't otherwise tolerate a simple huge burner. Once you've found a supplier, standard screw-on propane or propane/butane mix disposables are all compatible with it. I've never seen MAPP in anything bigger.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Hi

Sunday morning - what better to do than a bit of mindless playing with fire :)

30 seconds to bring 10mm threaded steel bar to glowing point.

A couple of pictures here:-

stevelup

Don't doubt it - I just needed one *right now* one day a while ago - you know what it's like...

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

stevelup formulated on Sunday :

Well I've fancied getting one for a while, so today I treated myself. I saw a new Bernzomatic TS7000 torch head for £20 at a car booty and took the plunge. Then searched around for gas and fund none, so I ended up at B&Q. It seems the head will run on three different gas tanks, all about the same size. (Correct me if I'm wrong -) Butane canister, blue propane and the most expensive - a yellow tank with which you can produce enough heat to braze at almost £14.

It has a very tightly formed flame and can certainly bring rusted steel nuts and bolts quickly up to red heat.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield